Portuguese Piano music - João Guilherme Daddi & Vianna da Motta

Started by Sharkkb8, Tuesday 03 May 2016, 01:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

A new album entitled "Portuguese Piano Music" will soon be released by Grand Piano - music by Vianna da Motta, (spelled with double n's and t's or not), and one João Guilherme Daddi (1813-1887).  I'm aware of Vianna da Motta's PC on Hyperion's RPC series of course, but Daddi is a complete unknown for me, and my search for a Wikipedia entry only produced one in Finnish!  Can anyone shed light on Daddi, or the music on this disc, or the soloist, Sofia Lourenço?

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=GP725

http://www.amazon.com/Portuguese-Piano-Music-Sofia-Lourenço/dp/B01DEACHLC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1462235663&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=Piano+Recital%3A+Lourenço%2C+Sofia+-+DADDI%2C+J.G.+%2F+VIANNA+DA+MOTTA%2C+J.+%28Portuguese+Piano+Music%29

Ilja

What I gathered from Portuguese acquaintances is that the "Viana da Mota" form is due to modernized spelling conventions. But since he spelled his own name with double "n"'s and "t"'s, and his music was published under that name, to me that should be the norm. That's the reason we use Rachmaninoff (with double "ff") and Reznicek (without the hacek), for example.

Mark Thomas

Quite, but I'm going to jump in right now and forestall any resurrection of the historic/modern spellings of surnames debate which has already dogged this forum twice. No more, please, on ta/tta or ov/off!

Sharkkb8

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 05 May 2016, 09:24
I'm going to jump in right now and forestall any resurrection of the historic/modern spellings

Warmly welcomed!  But.....still no input (or interest) in João Guilherme Daddi?  I'll continue to snoop around, all I'm saying is, I haven't been able to find much, and I hoped the far more knowledgeable folks on this forum might be able to shed additional light.

Presto offers this: 

João Guilherme Daddi (1813-1887) was a key figure in Portugal's musical life in the nineteenth-century. Amongst his compositions are a series of powerfully virtuosic piano pieces, largely based on popular operatic themes or else sequences of waltzes and other dances. From a later generation was José Viana da Mota (1868-1948), one of the great virtuosi of the time whose fusion of classical-romantic traditions with nationalist elements was inspired by Portuguese songs and dances.

Ilja