News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rudi Stephan

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 03 August 2010, 04:42

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Not sure if he falls inside the orbit?ambit? of this forum, but what I have heard of and know of his music seems at least, interesting; and the trend or fad of naming pieces titles like "music for symphony orchestra" or "music for string quartet" seems to date back to him and may have been influenced by him (so far as later composers knew of his output, which is a question.)  Anyone know his work, any opinions, any recommendations?

Kriton

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 03 August 2010, 04:42
Not sure if he falls inside the orbit?ambit? of this forum (...)
If not this composer, which then? One of my favourite post-Mahlerian composers who wrote lush late romantic music without breaking the rules of tonality.

Sadly, there are hardly recordings of his music available. I have both recordings of his opus magnum, the opera "Die ersten Menschen". But I could recommend starting with the Chandos (SA)CD, which contains both versions of his Music for Orchestra (rename it symphonic poem, if you'd like - Stephan actually shunned programme music, hence the title) and my favourite: the Music for Violin & Orchestra (another tone poem). I reckon this is how a movement from a (late) Mahler violin concerto would've sounded like - well, not a 100%, but I can't think of anything that comes closer right now.

Anyway, the form left me a bit puzzled the first time I heard it - after which I realised it is not really about form, but more a series of impressions. Typical late-romantic Austro-German expressionism.

There are 2 old Koch CDs as well, one containing his Musik für sieben Saiteninstrumente (coupled with Zemlinsky's Sinfonietta and Reger's Suite for Violin & Orchestra), hard to come by. I can recommend it nonetheless... The other CD, dedicated solely to Stephan, and conducted by Zender, offers another version of the Violin & Orchestra music, next to "Liebeszauber". I'm still looking for that one...

Other recordings I don't have and I can't think of either. Since he died very young, he didn't leave us much music altogether, but what is there deserves more frequent airing!

M. Henriksen

I have to agree with Kriton that Rudi Stephan absolutely deserves a topic on this forum. I purchased his opera "Die ersten Menschen" a year ago, but for new listeners I would also recommend the Chandos disc with his orchestral music as a starting point. Repeated listening was required in my case,  but I find the beginning of the Music for violin and Orchestra simply gorgeous (maybe not the right word to use, but my English has its limits).

Morten

Pengelli

I've only ever heard his 'Music for Orchestra' & parts of the opera. I thought the 'Music for Orchestra' was very impressive,indeed,with a steely,sinewy,lean sound to it,quite unlike Richard Strauss. A bit  like Schreker,actually. If only he had lived long enough to try his hand at writing symphony!
The opera was a closed book to me,unfortunately. I had taped it Radio 3 via an old 'On Digital' box & it definately needed a libretto,to help one along.