Jozef Wladyslav Krogulski 1815-1842

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 11 June 2014, 11:52

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Jozef Wladyslav Krogulskii  Born 4.10.1815  Tarnow, Poland   Died 9.1.1842  Warsaw, Poland

He initially studied with his father, Michal Krogulski 1791-1859, later settling in Warsaw and studied at the Warsaw Conservatory under Jozef Elsner and Karl Kurpinski.

Orchestral

Overture in D minor  1831
Piano Concerto in E major  1830
Piano Concerto in B minor  1832

Chamber

Octet in D minor  Op.6
Piano Quartet  Op.2  1835
String Quartet

Piano

Piano Sonata  1829
'La Bella Cracoviena'
Mazurka in D major
Mazurka in ?

Song

Last Goodbye
Let us praise the Lord
Mazur of the recent past
Lullaby for eternal sleep
Elegy Spirit
Coquette
God, how stupid it is

Choral

Requiem
There are ten Polish masses for two to four voices
'Caravan in the Arabian Desert'  cantata for choir and orchestra
'Miserere' cantata for soloists, choir and orchestra.
'Passion' oratorio for Good Friday
Angus Dei for three bass voices
Carol for male choir and organ

Opera

'Oh, my little wife'

Alan Howe

QuoteMost of his compositions were written in his teens and early twenties

Well, he was only 26 when he died...

JimL

The first PC is in E Major not E minor.  We have it in our archives and it is on YT.

giles.enders

JimL

Since the 1st PC has been performed and broadcast, I hope the 2nd is available for same.

eschiss1

btw RISM online mentions that MS copies of (performance materials of) one of his masses and a gradual are @ Klasztor OO. Paulinów Jasna Góra Biblioteka in Częstochowa in South Poland, and (maybe partial materials?) from a copy of another mass at a library in Grodzisk Wielkopolski also in Poland.

(I see a "Minor-walc", Op.23 turning up a lot among published works by him - for piano?)
Hofmeister gives 1839 btw for the op.2 piano quartet publication date...

Gareth Vaughan

I have looked in vain for the score of the 2nd PC. Has anyone had better luck or could give me pointers? Please.

eschiss1

I wonder how many of these works are by Wladyslaw Joszef Krogulski (b1834)...

giles.enders

eschiss1

I wasn't referring to the works with dates on them. Or are dates known, just omitted here, for the other works above?

(RISM: Mazurka in D by the 8-year-old Joz. Krogulsky; Polonoise in G for piano ca. 1822 by the 7-year-old same... WJ Kr sometimes, I think, maybe referred to as just Josef too, but will accept their estimations. One or more of the Polish masses above exist in 1840 abschrifts, so most likely by JW not 6 or less year old WJK :)... )