Schreker Orchestral Music from the Operas

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 05 September 2016, 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Yaskovsky

Alas, pretty much the same content as the Chandos series under Sinaisky. :-\

adriano

Oh yes, and I bet it will not surpass Sinaisky... Strange: BIS is another label now concentrating on ex-usung repertoire which is already available ad absurdum. They have also started a Respighi series (well done, for sure) - but who is going to buy all this? Apropos Nerschling: I read that he is involved to a Brazilian curruption affair and may face criminal charges. He has been removed from his Sao Paulo post...
As far as BIS's obvious (or blatant?) Sibelius complex is concerned, as good as many of these CDs may be, all these re-recordings with other conductors (or with the same), is a somehow questionable (or slightly perverse?) activity...
But not enough, some of their conductors (Järvi) repeat their Sibelius Symphonies later on other labels - and with the same orchestra! Not to speak about Paavo Berglund's double-EMI and Finlandia Sibelius Symphonies sets. Where is all the money coming from for such productions, and how good (or bad) may the sales be?

Alan Howe

All very good questions. And what a waste of time, money and resources!

TerraEpon

If you want to know what's up with BIS and Sibelius, check out (for instance) here: http://www.eclassical.com/labels/bis/the-sibelius-edition-vol-12.html

And they've been pretty open about what sells, and that more well known rep sells better for them, despite all the unique stuff they put out. Dunno if it's true any more, but I know at one point their best selling recording was of Mozart's clarinet concerto and quintet....