New Book on Unsung American Symphonists

Started by dwshadle, Tuesday 27 October 2015, 16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

They are sure dragging their feet on this one.

dwshadle

I'm resurrecting this old thread to give a couple of updates. The book was reviewed in the June issue of Gramophone and (surprisingly) the controversial "Greatest Symphony" issue of BBC Music Magazine. As a lurker I noticed the thread devoted to that issue and had to laugh--the review of the book comes across in much the same way as the rest of the issue: "Sometimes Beethoven is just better."

The book is now available at quite a few public libraries around the USA (and many more university libraries). Thanks to all of you who have picked up a copy! The general reception has been fantastic, and I'm so thankful for emails that say things like, "I've always wanted to know what was going on in the USA during the era of Beethoven and Brahms." There is nothing more gratifying than to hear you have satisfied someone's curiosity.

MartinH

Sometimes Beethoven is just better -- and overplayed. I'm juggling rehearsals with three orchestras right now. In one, it's Tchaikovsky 5. How many more times to I have to play that! In another the Beethoven 7th. One of the greatest. Too bad the conductor doesn't have a clue. Every danged repeat! It goes on and on. And I've played it quite a few times, too.

And then comes the last group: the Negro Folk Symphony by American composer William Dawson. What a beautiful, well-written piece. I've known it by recording for a long time (thanks, Stokowski) but never have encountered it either as an audience member or with a bassoon (in this case contra) on hand. What a relief it is to play something different for a change and this is a wonderful composition. It would be easy to say it's unperformed since the composer is black, but what's worse is he's American - and one of those mid-century guys who didn't go down the ugly-music path. Is it a masterwork on the level of the Beethoven or Tchaikovsky? Nope, but so what! It still packs a emotional wallop and is very gratifying to listen to and play.

I have little enthusiasm for the first two - they're over-familiar and need a rest. I look forward to each rehearsal with the latter.

dwshadle

Couldn't agree more. The Dawson is a gem, but for different reasons than the other two. So glad you are playing it!!

eschiss1

Leaving the idiotic phrase "ugly music path" to one side, copyright makes it rather more expensive to perform or purchase a 1952 work by a composer who died in 1990, compared to most of Beethoven and Tchaikovsky which are largely in the public domain (of themselves, though particular editions may not be).

MartinH

Oh come on, you know what I mean by "ugly music path". It's just a shorthand term to classify music. I didn't invent it, and it is rather simplistic, but it also effective, I think. The Dawson is hardly salon music, and has it's shares of dissonance and other modernisms, but is a much, much more attractive work than some nearly contemporaneous symphonies by Roger Sessions!

eschiss1

I disagree, but only you[r side] are allowed to press that case here w/o breaking the rules. So: And my more important point? (If you can point me, btw, to many more late Sessions symphonies performances of late than Dawson syms, then your point is made and perhaps I'll have to buy a hat - to eat.)

Alan Howe