Daniël de Lange (1841 - 1918)

Started by kansasbrandt, Sunday 08 August 2010, 03:24

Previous topic - Next topic

kansasbrandt

Check out his Symphony in C Minor on YouTube.  Make sure to type his name in quotes or you will never find it!!!

eschiss1

Quote from: kansasbrandt on Sunday 08 August 2010, 03:24
Check out his Symphony in C Minor on YouTube.  Make sure to type his name in quotes or you will never find it!!!

His relatives (father and brother, I think) Samuel de Lange Sr. and Jr. have interested me (Jr.'s quartet no.3 op. 67 for instance, presently on IMSLP, first seen by me at my grad school university's library)- I haven't heard them but have given the scores a good look.  Thanks for the info!
Eric

Peter1953

In the Netherlands there is a 'Musical Legacy Foundation De Lange', stimulating and promoting the musical output of the De Lange family. This Foundation has a very interesting, informative website, however unfortunately only in the Dutch language. See http://www.stichtingdelange.nl/. If you click on Discografie you will find CD's that are available.

Mark Thomas

Brandt wrote
QuoteCheck out his Symphony in C Minor on YouTube

Of course, this  is a rip of the Sterling CD. There are thousands of commercial CD recordings available on YouTube and I'm always amazed that they acquiesce to such blatant piracy.

Picking up on Eric's mention of brother Samuel, his Viola Concerto was broadcast a few years ago and is a really lovely piece.

eschiss1

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 08 August 2010, 08:46
Brandt wrote
QuoteCheck out his Symphony in C Minor on YouTube

Of course, this  is a rip of the Sterling CD. There are thousands of commercial CD recordings available on YouTube and I'm always amazed that they acquiesce to such blatant piracy.

Picking up on Eric's mention of brother Samuel, his Viola Concerto was broadcast a few years ago and is a really lovely piece.

They try to remove them (especially of course when the copyright problem is pointed out by owners!) but not with the (once-bitten thrice-shy?) attitude shown by IMSLP and (no idea if there's any history here in general) Wikipedia.

kansasbrandt

OK - Found it on Sterling coupled with an outing by Zweers.  I will definately put that on my ultra-high priority must buy list now having "auditioned" it for free!!!  I am always a bit concerned about the ethics of these "freebies" on YouTube, to be honest.  The young man who posted it calls himself Meyerbeer1 and has placed tons of "unsung" items there.  Fortunately, Mark has quite rightly called attention to a key point here - and that is, if we're getting this music on there for free, is that not going to ultimately HURT our crusade rather than help it??? 

JimL

No.  I'm more likely than not to buy the CD after hearing the symphony, and I don't think you can burn a YouTube onto CD to listen in your car.  I'm not sure if you can load it onto an iPod even, since I don't have one.  Besides, the long-range goal for me isn't just to own the CD, but to get an occasional live performance of these works here and there.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Monday 09 August 2010, 04:41
No.  I'm more likely than not to buy the CD after hearing the symphony, and I don't think you can burn a YouTube onto CD to listen in your car.  I'm not sure if you can load it onto an iPod even, since I don't have one.  Besides, the long-range goal for me isn't just to own the CD, but to get an occasional live performance of these works here and there.
Actually, there is software to burn the audio tracks of YouTube videos to mp3s etc., but I still hold with your main points. (The science fiction publisher Baen Books has an online Baen Free Library of complete downloadable books on more or less- though of course not exactly- that general reasoning. Their own books, though.)
Eric

thalbergmad

Quote from: JimL on Monday 09 August 2010, 04:41
No.  I'm more likely than not to buy the CD after hearing the symphony,

Me too.

You tube quality is crap, so I use it as a kind of try before you buy service.

I might be wrong, but i doubt if you tube has decreased CD sales. If it did, I am sure many recordings would be removed.

Thal

ahinton

Quote from: thalbergmad on Monday 09 August 2010, 12:12
I might be wrong, but i doubt if you tube has decreased CD sales. If it did, I am sure many recordings would be removed.
Youtube itself might not have had that much of an effect on CD sales, but the myriad sites that actually offer whole CDs for download have almost certainly done so.

hyperdanny

I am exhumating this thread because I have a question, and I would rely on this board's members expertise to find a final answer.
Some time ago I found out that on youtube there's actually an alternative performance of the de Lange symphony..Dutch Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by the estimable Jac van Steen.
I made some research, and it appears to be a 1997 Dutch Radio 4 performance.

The question is: do you know if this has ever been released commercially?
I could not find anything.

I was floored by this performance, which I find vastly superior to the Sterling cd, both in interpretation and orchestral playing.
I am very attached to the piece of course because of course I like it and also, believe it or not, it was the piece that started years ago my interest in the Unsungs.
From a random listening of the Halstead performance on the internet...to dozens and dozens of cd's!

Alan Howe

Here's van Steen's performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3pU4q9iIq4

Perhaps someone could copy and upload it for us?

hyperdanny

that would be wonderful, even with the not-quite-cd quality sound that comes with YT.
I listened to it several times, and I feel that van Steen's more deliberate tempos, the keener articulation he elicits, and the refined playing by the Dutch orchestra, they all really lift up the symphony to another level.
Halstead's performance is ok, but a little too rushed, and here and there I find instances  of less that tight ensemble.
There's nothing really wrong with it, but van Steen realizes the full potential of the piece.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe