Daniël de Lange (1841 - 1918)

Started by kansasbrandt, Sunday 08 August 2010, 03:24

Previous topic - Next topic

matesic

When you say "copy", I'm sure everyone is well aware that you can rip the youtube audio directly to mp3 using a site like peggo.tv, as I'm doing right now. You just have to pick your way around the dodgy advertising matter; having clicked "record mp3" and cancelled the spurious tabs that come up (usually twice - don't click on "download"!) the mp3 file will download automatically

matesic

Does anyone have a better youtube ripper they can recommend?

Mark Thomas

It may not be better, but I use 4k Video Downloader, which downloads the original mp4 file, enabling you to convert to mp3, wav etc, to your own standard. Anyway, my rip of the YouTube recording is now available in our downloads board here. It's a fine performance, I think, much more convincing (read "gutsy"!) than Halstead's interpretation on Sterling.

Alan Howe

hyperdanny

thank you very much indeed Mark, it's much appreciated!..this is going to be permanently burned on a cd..

Ilja

If you're on a Mac, there's nothing that beats Downie (https://software.charliemonroe.net/downie.php), which can rip video and audio from a host of sites.  It will post-process files (so you can choose to rip both audio and video or just audio, and in what format) and has plug-ins for most browsers.

Gerhard Griesel

Like Mark, I can also recommend 4K Video Downloader. VERY efficient!

Alan Howe

I must say that the new upload is quite an eye-opener. How much bigger the Symphony now seems. An interesting contribution to the genre in the so-called 'Dahlhaus Gap' (no symphony of real note between Schumann 4 and Brahms 1).

Gareth Vaughan

I heartily agree. It's a bigger work than I had thought.

hyperdanny

@Alan
i told you...and I am glad you agree..I thought I knew the De Lange inside and out, but van Steen's performance was nothing short of revelatory.

Alan Howe

Just shows how important it is to do the unsungs really well. Even Brahms can sound naff in a poor performance. Perhaps we might think differently about, say, Rubinstein's symphonies if they were done properly.

Mark Thomas

Now that's a generous thought. ;)

But the point is well made. I remember going to a blazing and beautifully shaped performance in Bamberg by the Sinfoniker of Raff's 2nd Symphony, which was followed after the interval by a drab, "phoned-in" rendition of Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto, made worse by a lacklustre and wayward soloist. On the evidence of that night alone, no-one would have doubted that Raff was the better composer.

Ilja

I've experienced evenings like that. Depressingly, the audience will still give the familiar work a standing ovation irrespective of performance.

Alan Howe

We need a level playing-field as far as performances of the unsungs are concerned. I mean, who wouldn't want to hear the BerlinPO under Petrenko in, say, Rubinstein's 4th?

eschiss1

Always to some in the audience, neither composer will be familiar, so boo hiss to "phoned-in" performances of Brahms, Raff, Rubinstein, or Tchaikovsky, of course!! One might lose people briefly or always for a whole range of music because of lack of commitment in performance...