News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cinderella the Younger

Started by giles.enders, Friday 06 August 2010, 10:25

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Three music titles that have amused me are ' The Botanic Spider'  'Cinderella the Younger' and 'The Old Mole'

Mark Thomas

Kriton

A musical title that has amused me is Hindemith's "Overture to the 'Flying Dutchman' as Played at Sight by a Second-Rate Concert Orchestra at the Village Well at 7 o'clock in the Morning"...

Amphissa

Notes on "Cinderella the Younger" here, along with many other musical and theatrical versions of the fairy tale. My favorite would have to be "Cinderella e la Comare, or, The Lover, The Lackey, and the Little Glass Slipper".

http://www.theatrehistory.com/misc/cinderella.html

John H White

"Joan of Arc at the Stake", to me, conjures up a picture of the maid of Orleans tucking into a tee bone.

giles.enders

The Old Mole and Botanic Spider are piano quintets.  The former by Herbert Howells in 1937 and the latter by Augustin Fernandez.  Cinderella the Younger was produced at the Gaiety Theatre, London in 1871 and composed by 'E. Jonas'  The Gaiety was the haunt of King Edward V11 and European aristocracy.

swanekj

Quote from: Kriton on Friday 06 August 2010, 13:19
A musical title that has amused me is Hindemith's "Overture to the 'Flying Dutchman' as Played at Sight by a Second-Rate Concert Orchestra at the Village Well at 7 o'clock in the Morning"...

How about Hindemith's "Murder, the Hope for Women"?