Amanda Maier VC etc

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 October 2016, 17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Excellent! Both the Concerto and the Quartet are really fine pieces and well worth preserving. Not masterpieces, perhaps, but both are well put together, memorable and neither outstay their (very warm) welcome. A definite purchase for me.

semloh

Totally new to me. Your shared enthusiasm duly noted!  :)

Alan Howe

Very nice stuff indeed - very conservative, of course, but who cares? Certainly not me!

Friends may want to consult this existing thread:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,2287.msg27437.html#msg27437

Alan Howe

The notes that accompany the CD explain the structure of the VC. Apparently this is not a one-movement concerto at all, but merely the first movement of three, the last two of which are sadly lost. So what we have is actually a torso, not a complete work at all. This would explain why, for example, the cadenza is placed at the end of the piece (i.e. at the end of the first movement) because in a three-movement concerto this is exactly where we would expect it be.

With the first movement coming in at 17+ mins., the whole concerto would surely have been a substantial work - maybe approaching forty minutes in length...