News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Frederick Septimus Kelly

Started by mikehopf, Sunday 06 November 2016, 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Just released to commemorate the centenary of the death of Kelly on 13th November, 1916

Frederick Septimus Kelly - A Race Against Time

ABC Classics.
Description
Frederick Septimus Kelly was one of the great cultural losses of World War One. An Australian who spent much of his life in England, his legacy has been neglected until now – the centenary of his death, killed in action at the Battle of the Somme at the age of 35.

Kelly's music – crafted entirely in his head, and only committed to paper once perfected – displays touching lyricism and profound invention. When he died, his compositional output matched that of Ralph Vaughan Williams at the same age for its sheer quality and range.

Kelly, or 'Sep' to his friends, was also a renowned pianist whose virtuosity was met with acclaim in both Europe and Australia. He was a close friend of the poet Rupert Brooke, present at his death and burial in Gallipoli. In his lifetime, he was best known to the general public for his prowess as an oarsman, winning an Olympic gold medal.

A Race Against Time is the result of a decade-long project to research and uncover Kelly's genius. It provides for the first time a major survey of his astonishing music, from his early songs to the scores he sketched as he served in the war that would cut short his astonishing talent.

Track Listing:

CD 1 – It Is Not Dawn Till You Awake

1.It Is Not Dawn Till You Awake
2.A Dirge
3.Break, Break, Break
4.Crossing the Bar
5.Aghadoe
6.Monograph No. 6
7.Monograph No. 21
8.March
9.The Daffodils
10.When the Lamp Is Shattered
11.Monograph No. 5
12.Music, When Soft Voices Die
13.Shall I Compare Thee?
14-18.A Cycle of Lyrics (selections)
19.One Word Is Too Often Profaned
20.The Cherry Tree
21.Weep No More Sad Fountains
22.Mirrors
23.Monograph No. 22
24.It Is Not Dawn Till You Awake

CD 2 – 1915–16 Gallipoli and France: A Race Against Time

1.Elegy – In memoriam Rupert Brooke
2-4.The Gallipoli Sonata
5.Monograph No. 18
6.Monograph No. 24
7.Green Grow the Rushes Oh (Trad. arr. Kelly)
8.The Somme Lament
9-11.Piano Sonata in F minor
12.Has Anyone Here Seen Kelly? (Murphy / Letters)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Re II:12- hrm, that song was fairly new at the time, I didn't know that (Wikipedia.)

semloh

What a terrible toll the Somme took.  :(

Kelly gets mentioned on ABC Classic FM from time-to-time, and I believe they have played excerpts from that CD. We have a week month! of focussing on Australian composers coming up, so we may get to hear more.

His Elegy for Strings 'In Memoriam Rupert Brooke' (1915) is on Chandos, and the Serenade for Flute, with Harp, Horn & String Orchestra is on a Cameo CD.

Jimfin

Oh thank you, have ordered it! I'm very fond of the Elegy and also the Serenade, shall look forward to this very much.

JeremyMHolmes

QuoteHis Elegy for Strings 'In Memoriam Rupert Brooke' (1915) is on Chandos,

I think you mean "Dutton" not Chandos  8)

djarvie

Re F.S.Kelly and his war service, members may be interested in the following, from The Scotsman newspaper today:

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-places/composer-honoured-at-borders-concert-remembering-somme-dead-1-4285687

You may find you have to answer a couple of simple questions before you can see the full text.  Presumably that is to prove you are not a computer from a rival newspaper.

semloh

QuoteI think you mean "Dutton" not Chandos  8)

Yes, indeed. My apologies. My list clearly says Dutton but I read it as Chandos - can't explain it!  ;D

Alan Howe

I often misread my credit card statement - can't explain that either  ;)