Prince Heinrich XXIV Reuss-Köstritz (1855-1910) (Reuss)

Started by khorovod, Monday 23 August 2010, 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

there are also "live" orchestral and chamber recordings of some of his works in our uploads ("Downloads") section and on YouTube (and a good performance by "Steve's Bedroom Band" of the 2nd string sextet at IMSLP.) No cpo recordings of any kind at yet in any case, I believe- I'm not even aware that they have any in the can, though I wouldn't know of any if they did (unless I noticed some in radio broadcast things somehow or something..)

Alan Howe

According to Stolle's biography, the composer definitely wrote six symphonies, of which five are extant, as follows:

Symphony No. 1 in C minor  Op. 10  (1888, pub.1892)
Symphony No. 2 in D major  WoO 1  (before 1889, unpublished; lost) - N.B. I have corrected the entry in Giles' listing.
Symphony No. 3 in E minor  Op. 28  (1897, pub.1907)
Symphony No. 4 in A major  Op. 30  (pub.1907)
Symphony No. 5 in F minor  Op. 34   (pub.1907)
Symphony No. 6 in E flat major  Op. 36  (pub.1909)

So, Nos.2 and 4 are quite different works, in two different keys. Unfortunately, the score of No.2 is lost (Stolle, p.103).

In addition, No.6 is in E flat major, not E major.

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

Well done, yourself! You guessed right about No.2!

Incidentally, the full title of Stolle's biography ('Der Komponist Heinrich XXIV. Reuß-Köstritz. Ein Meister strenger Schönheit') gives a clear hint as to his compositional syle - 'A Master of Stern (or strict, rigorous, severe) Beauty'.

joelingaard

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 25 January 2021, 12:51'A Master of Stern (or strict, rigorous, severe) Beauty'.

Does this give pleasure or show him to be of the academic nature? Can you sponsor some professional recordings?

:)

Alan Howe

I don't have the money, so no!

As for Reuss' music, I suspect the description is to do with his strictly classical approach, but this no bar to enjoyment for me, although we haven't got much to go on - just his Viola Sonata and 1st Symphony. Beauty is still beauty, after all - however it is achieved, e.g. there is beauty that is luxuriant and beauty that is austere...

Alan Howe

I had completely misjudged the Viola Sonata (1904), available on the TXYart label. I suppose it is rather Brahmsian, reminiscent as it is of the latter's late, autumnal style - thus it is very beautiful in a wistful sort of way, but there is much memorable writing, as there is in the 1st Symphony:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/heinrich-xxiv-reuss-zu-koestritz-sonate-fuer-viola-klavier-g-dur-op-22/hnum/8346597  (tracks 8-10)

This is clearly a composer of whom we ought to hear more.

eschiss1

I recall also hearing string quartets and two movements of another symphony of his at one point, I think, though they are not works I've seen in score/parts.

Ilja

Alan, thanks for taking the time to dive into Stolle! I don't want to be the in-house sceptic, but through the years I've discovered to my cost that an off-hand remark, a mention in correspondence, or simply confusion can easily lead to chimaeras showing up in a person's oeuvre.

A shame the work is lost, of course, although it does offer the possibility of it showing up again at some point...

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Here are the first two* movements of Symphony No.3, written in 1897 but not published until 1907:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJHm5ZpsY18
The performers are: Sinfonieorchester Greiz, conducted by Hans-Rainer Förster.

A commercial recording of the 3rd Symphony was made in 1992, published by Engelsmann Life Records GmbH - whether the above is taken from that recording is not clear.

*correction: middle two

Reverie

Great find Alan. I shall look forward to having a proper listen tomorrow.

Mark Thomas

I see they're marked on the video as movements I. & II., but surely they're two inner movements?