News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

ASV INFORMATION

Started by sdtom, Tuesday 24 August 2010, 14:42

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I'm trying to find out if there is a link to a discography of asv recordings and not having much luck. Are they still in business and if so does anyone know who distributes them in the US.
thanks
thomas

Alan Howe

thalbergmad

Excellent label who produced my favourite CD ever.

Liszt vs Thalberg.

Thal

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 24 August 2010, 15:26
You may find out what you want to know here...
http://sanctuarynewmedia.com/classics/labels.php?section=5&subsection=0&PHPSESSID=de38221cffd64c2b3100c68c7c2ba59a
Sanctuary bought out the ASV label in 1999. Universal bought out Sanctuary in 2007 and then promptly closed it down! As a result ASV/ Gaudeamus discs are unobtainable except through remaindered stock or in secondhand condition. Certain items (such as the fantastic Ockeghem Collection) sell on Amazon for ridiculously inflated prices.

If you go to the home page via Alan's link you get the following information:

Order service no longer available

Following the Universal Music Group takeover, you can no longer order titles from this website.
The system will still allow you to do this, but the order will not be processed. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Delicious Manager

I know about this because a group I manage was due to have a CD released on ASV to honour a long-standing agreement. It was clear from the outset that Universal only ever intended to shut-down the classical arm of Sanctuary (ie the ASV labels) if the buy-out was successful. It was all very badly handled and we had to find another label to release what has since become a highly regarded CD on a small independent label.

One can only hope that the Brilliant, Naxos or Alto labels might be able to acquire some of the very fine recordings and re-release them in the what that old (for example) Collins Classics and Olympia recordings have been in recent years.

sdtom

And I just went yesterday to Amazon and saw a price of $71.00 for a copy of the Korsakov recording of his 1st and 2nd Symphonies, yikes. I got this one from the library and while I wouldn't call it bad it certainly wasn't at the top either.
Thomas :)

Hovite

Quote from: Delicious Manager on Wednesday 25 August 2010, 17:01One can only hope that the Brilliant, Naxos or Alto labels might be able to acquire some of the very fine recordings and re-release

Brilliant seem to have reissued the complete orchestral works of Martucci, in a box of four discs, for about £10.75.