News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

William Becker ???

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 31 August 2010, 17:21

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

A friend recently sent me a CD containing a performance by the Akron SO with Earl Kelly, piano of the Piano Concerto in e (1902) of William Becker (1873-1951).  I've looked high and low for some information about this American composer with no success.  Can anyone point me to some information about him?

A different subject:  Is there somewhere that I can upload a performance like this that others could download?  I don't see anything in this URL.

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the upload offer. You could use one of the file sharing sites like rapidshare or hotfile and then post the url, maybe?

Grove has nothing on Becker I'm afraid.

jthill

Interesting - I remember a John Joseph Becker who was a friend of Ives.  Louisville put out his symphonia brevis (No 3) on LP years ago - can't remember anything about it.  This can't be the same Becker - John Joseph was considered a "modernist" - although he lived practically the same time period as William Becker.

However, I just found this link to the New Yorks Times review of the premier of William Becker's Piano concerto in e.
Try this link:   http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A05E3D8133CE633A25750C1A9679D946396D6CF
It gives a little biographical info along with the review.

eschiss1

His MusicSack entry doesn't have much more information but does record several appearances as a performer (piano, trombone) and notes a few different sources. Died in 1951 true but Variety obituary wasn't until February 1 1956. (!)
Eric

jerfilm

Well, ok, here's the downloads for the Concerto:

http://rapidshare.com/files/416531918/Becker_Piano_Concerto_in_e_1.mp3
http://rapidshare.com/files/416531920/Becker_Piano_Concerto_in_e_2.mp3
http://rapidshare.com/files/416531921/Becker_Piano_Concerto_in_e_3.mp3

I guess there is 10 free downloads.  I tried to figure out how to get further into Rapidshare but frankly I guess I'm too old (or too stupid) to figure out what they're talking about.

The pianist is Earl Kelly, Akron SO under Louis Lane. 

Mark Thomas

Very many thanks. Downloading now. If the download limit is exceeded, let me know and I'll try and put the files somewhere without a limit.

Mark Thomas

First impressions are that it's an attractive romantic work, without much individuality, but I've heard worse in the Hyperion RPC series. As you'd expect, the predominant influence is Grieg. I've not checked my dates, but there's also what sounds like some Rachmaninov in the long first movement and the very short finale. Becker isn't the world's greatest tunesmith, but it's a very pleasant way of passing half an hour. The recording pushes the orchestra into the background, but actually its more of an equal partnership than it first appears. 

Recommended to anybody who's curious. Thanks, jerfilm.

Delicious Manager

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 31 August 2010, 22:24
Thanks for the upload offer. You could use one of the file sharing sites like rapidshare or hotfile and then post the url, maybe?

Be careful you don't infringe copyright. Any kind of 'filesharing' (an unnecessarily polite word for PIRACY) is illegal if the recording is less than 50 years old.

jerfilm

I appreciate the warning, thanks.  I'm sure this particular recording is from a radio broadcast.  I've never seen any kind of commercial recording by this ensemble.  Would the Akron SO be delighted if they knew that a number of folks around the world were enjoying their performance?  Probably.  Maybe someone could shed more light on this subject...... I have the Piano Concerto in f, opus 94 of Mary Carr Moore (1873-1957) done by the Maryland Women's SO for example.  Or the Piano Concerto in Ab (1875) of Caryl Florio (The pseudonym of William James Robjohn) by the Asheville SO......as examples.  If anyone has a problem with my posting stuff like this, I can always make CDs for those interested.

Delicious Manager

The laws concerning 'off air' performances vary from country to country. Forgive my 'pouncing', but, having been (and continuing to be) a manager of professional musicians for some 30 years now, I am increasingly sensitive regarding piracy - especially as many people today (not seasoned contributors here, but most of the 'younger generation' (what an old fart I sound!)) seem to think that music should be 'free' and indiscriminately 'shared' without a thought as to how musicians would be able to pay their bills if people just stole their music rather than buying it.

And yes, I suspect the Akron SO WOULD be pleased to know someone was appreciating their efforts.

Rant over  ;)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI have the Piano Concerto in f, opus 94 of Mary Carr Moore (1873-1957) done by the Maryland Women's SO for example.  Or the Piano Concerto in Ab (1875) of Caryl Florio (The pseudonym of William James Robjohn) by the Asheville SO......as examples.

I would greatly appreciate hearing the Piano Concerto by Mary Carr Moore. The Asheville SO made a commercial recording of Florio's PC, and it is available here http://www.vcisinc.com/saxophonecds.htm so I would be wary of making that available online.

jerfilm

That's good to know, Gareth, thanks.  If you send me your address, I'd be happy to mail you a copy of the Moore.  It apears to have been digitized from tape and does sound just a touch wobbly but is certainly listenable. 

Jerry

kansasbrandt

There were - and are - a LOT of Beckers in the musical world starting with a violinist named Dirk Becker in the Baroque era and then there was a cellist named Hugo Becker in the 19th Century.  Alas, I'm not related to a single one of them.  For me, this is like having the name "Bach" and not being so much as a twig from that distinguished tree.  BTW - was J J Becker's being friends with Charles Ives anything to really brag about???  Better for music, had he (Ives) stayed exclusively in the insurance racket......

:P

Mark Thomas

Whilst preparing a copy of the William Becker Piano Concerto recording to send to a friend I tried digging around for more details on his life. I came up with a big fat blank, but did find that there's a copy of the score in the Fleischer Collection in Philadelphia. From their online catalogue the movements of Becker's concerto are:

I. Allegro appassionato II. Andante sostenuto III. Presto.

eschiss1

the MusicSack entry does refer to several written sources that may provide some additional information (e.g. Osburn's "Ohio composers and musical authors" of 1942).