Quartets by two great Danes

Started by John H White, Thursday 02 September 2010, 11:14

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

A few months ago I was offered a download of a pair of Danish string quartets, but I decided to order the CD instead.
The composers represented are Friedrich Kuhlau (1786-1832), who was, as it were, Danish by adoption, having been born in Germany and Christian Hornemann (1840-1906). The 2 works, dating from 1832 and 1861 respectively span what I think of as the Classico-Romantic period nicely. I find them equally enjoyable. The CD is a joint Dacapo/Marco Polo production and the number is 8.224016.

eschiss1

I think I've heard the Kuhlau (his last work I believe? Have heard others naturally...) and have a piece by Horneman (his Heldenleben overture, which is also at Sibley and IMSLP in full score), may have heard others I think. Sounds like a very good choice of programming...
Eric

khorovod

I haven't heard the either quartets but jpc also has a Kontrapunkt cd that contains the Kuhlau and two quartets by Hornemann:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Christian-E-F-Horneman-Streichquartette-Nr-1-2/hnum/8304814