Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952), a revival

Started by Peter1953, Saturday 13 June 2009, 12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Dear all, I hope you don't mind me starting another topic on Bortkiewicz. We already discussed the release of the NMI disc with the 2nd and 3rd PC. In general every member who contributed to this thread is enthusiastic. In fact I am overwhelmed by these grandiose PC's, and that makes Bortkiewicz for me a real find. However, I only know his 3 PC's (by the way, my favourite is #2) and I'm now eager to learn more of his music.
Then I remember many years ago my discovery of Rachmaninoff. I had LPs of his PCs and an LP including his famous prelude in C sharp minor in an arrangement for orchestra with Mantovani as the conductor. I thought: I love this music so much, his other works must be attractive as well. And indeed.

Allow me to quote Wouter Kalkman in his booklet notes (by the way, Wouter Kalkman is also responsible for the beautiful and very informative website www.bortkiewicz.com):
Bortkiewicz' style was very much based on Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, early Scriabin and Russian folklore. He was unaffected by the music trends of the 20th century. The outstanding individual quality of his compositions, the melodic richness and the mastery of form characterize all of his works. He wrote in a style very much his own that can be immediately recognised as "typically Bortkiewicz". As well as beautiful lyricism there is also frequently an atmosphere of deep nostalgia, a longing for past joys. The emotional effect of this, blended with his strong melodic gifts, makes his music attractive and appealing to many listeners.

This really triggers me. After reading these words, while listening to the 2nd PC, how can I protect myself? I like to order all his other discs immediately.
But before doing that, I like to read your opinions on Bortkiewicz' other works. The discs of pianist Klaas Trapman? Both symphonies on Hyperion? Others? Please advice.

Ilja

Generally, I hold the symphonies in slightly lower esteem than the concertos (the piano was very much his medium, I think). However, both are fine examples of the early-20th-century Russian symphony, but I find the second a more mature and lasting work than the slightly rambunctious first. On the other hand, that one has the added benefit of probably containing the only commercial recording of the Tsarist Russian anthem.

The piano CDs are all fine and well worth the (modest) investment.

izdawiz

well ... a great and cheap recomendation .. especially if you like  chamber music would be: Bortkiewicz: Complete Works for Violin and Piano.... the violin sonata and the suite for violin piano are exquisite. they show the nostalgic, lyrical, and creative side of Bortkiewicz.

Peter1953

Thanks Izdawiz, I've just ordered that CD (indeed very cheap, the package & postage almost doubles the price).

---------------

I couldn't wait any longer, so I went to Hyperion's website and listened to all 43 extracts of the double disc of Piano Music played by Stephen Coombs, and all 8 extracts of both symphonies. How about the opening of the 3rd movement of the 2nd? Just heavenly beautiful.
This does it. I'm sure I'll find enough funds for a couple of new discs, but how am I going to tell my wife about my new passion? I'll tell her while refilling her glass with that nice burgundy.  :D

Kevin Pearson

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 14 June 2009, 09:56

This does it. I'm sure I'll find enough funds for a couple of new discs, but how am I going to tell my wife about my new passion? I'll tell her while refilling her glass with that nice burgundy.  :D

You might wait until that third refill! :D

Kevin

Peter1953

It happened. I couldn't resist the temptation any longer, so I ordered a few other CD's and went, with my wife, to the NMI in The Hague and bought the 3 double CD's of piano music, played by Klaas Trapman (EUR 7.50 per disc, and that is value for money).
Although I haven't listened to all the piano music yet (6 hours!), for what I've heard so far these are absolutely lovely pieces. The music is a nice mix of Chopin and Rachmaninov, and sometimes you hear Schumann as well, but in the end it must be typically the style of Bortkiewicz because the music stands on its own. A strong recommendation!
Did you experience the excitement to discover and explore a "whole" new composer and completely "fall in love" with his music? It happened to me twice this year, thanks to our Forum and I'm very grateful for that. Both "trouvailles" for me are Rufinatscha and Bortkiewicz. And who knows how many others will follow...

I've promised my wife a whole weekend of Bortkiewicz only, so let's hope I survive.

JimL

I'm growing extremely fond of the Left Hand Concerto.  I'm still trying to decipher the thematic transformations in the 3rd Concerto.  I find it hard to believe that all of the material is based on that opening motive.

febnyc

The 2nd piano concerto (left hand) is a masterpiece and easily the best of the Wittgenstein commissions, in my opinion.  At times it is difficult to believe that only one hand is on the piano keys - the writing is so skillful.

One should mention the two lush, romantic symphonies by Bortkiewicz, issued on a Hyperion CD.  They both are memorable and eminently engaging.  Perhaps not quite at the level of his piano concertos, but nevertheless worthwhile.  Don't pass 'em by.

FBerwald

Still eagerly waiting for the Violin and Cello concerti!  I just hope its not a long wait  ::)

Peter1953

The producer Wouter Kalkman told me that plans are in preparation to record Bortkiewicz's beautiful violin and cello concerto within a few years. So it is most likely that the NMI will release both concertos, but we have to be patient for a while.

JimL

Well tell you one thing I'm going to do.  Since I now have all 3 Borty PCs, I'm going to play them all in order over the next few days. :)

Peter1953

Anybody familiar with Bortkiewicz's symphonies in D major, op. 52, and E flat major, op. 55 (I know Ilja is)?
I remember a topic on beautiful slow movements in symphonies and concertos. Of course there are so many, but the 3rd movement, an andante sostenuto, of Bortkiewicz's 2nd belongs most certainly to the highlights. That is, if you like to listen to tragic, emotional, melancholic and serene melodies (not all the time, otherwise you might get depressed...).
It is hard to imagine that Bortkiewicz composed these symphonies in 1937-38. Some themes, like the mentioned andante in the 2nd, could have been written by Tchaikovsky. He certainly knew how to create tragic but beautiful music in his last 3 symphonies. The ghost of Tchaikovsky must have whispered some ideas in Bortkiewicz's ears during the process of creating his intense music.

JimL

That left-hand concerto has really gotten under my skin.  It would be a grand thing to bring it to the attention of a pianist other than Stefan Doniga.  I took the liberty of emailing Carl Petersson about it last week.  Unfortunately he hasn't gotten back to me yet.  Touring, no doubt.

P.S. Although I agree with febnyc that the concerto is a masterpiece, I'm not sure I can agree that it is the best of the Wittgenstein commissions.  After all, there is so much unpublished stuff in his (Wittgenstein's) archive that has yet to see the light.  Didn't he commission a concertante work from Camille Saint-Saens?  I seem to recall reading about it in an article on Leon Fleisher some years back (when he had just gotten the mobility of his right hand back after some years of paralysis).  Or was it just a left-hand arrangement of one of his two-hand concertos?

Mark Thomas

Jim wrote: Didn't he commission a concertante work from Camille Saint-Saens?

It would be a very late work if he did. The last work listed in the catalogues is the Fifth Piano Concerto of 1896, long before WWI in which Wittegenstein was wounded. A fascinating prospect, though.

TerraEpon

If he commissioned anything, it was never written.

Saint-Saens DID write solo piano etudes for the left hand, but it's from 1912.