Stanford VC (1875) & PC (1873) from Dutton

Started by JeremyMHolmes, Wednesday 28 March 2018, 14:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

And Mellor probably won't get so much as a reprimand.

JeremyMHolmes

Is he any relation to the ex-MP and self-styled classical music buff currently on Classic FM?

Gareth Vaughan

semloh

I am sorry to hear about that review. I was a regular reader of Gramophone 40-45 years ago, and it was informative and reliable, albeit in a very 'conservative' way. Its standards have obviously fallen dramatically. A published apology and a fresh review would seem in order.

Alan Howe

I told them that an erratum was insufficient and that they need to publish a completely revised review.

Revilod

Yes. I spotted this error. Mr Mellor compares the recording quality of the two discs and seems not to notice that they are two different concertos!  How could this happen? Both in D major,  I suppose! It's not much to be proud of but my Amazon review doesn't make that mistake!!

Alan Howe

It's sheer incompetence. Nothing less. The man ought to be tied to a chair and made to listen to the two pieces until he can tell the difference...

Revilod

Blimey, Alan! Is that an electric chair? A bit harsh perhaps!

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Ni moi non plus. A little less tweeting and rather more listening from Mr Mellor might help. Come to think of it we could do with a lot less tweeting all round.

matesic

Unfortunately I missed the original review and I now see it's been "amended to correct a factual error".  So now there are 3 Stanford violin concertos, 2 of them in D major. I think Dutton themselves must take a little of the blame for not quoting the opus number on the front cover (and presumably not being explicit in the sleeve notes?).

FBerwald

These are works without Opus numbers, unpublished and we are damn lucky they didn't just vanish like so many unpublished scores. In any case while reviewing a work the critic is supposed to listen to the work and not just assume based on opus numbers.

Gareth Vaughan

And how could he compare the recordings of the VCs without having listened to them? Reading the sleeve notes would have helped too - an aspect of the disk which should also have formed part of his review. No, Dutton are entirely blameless. This is on a par with the drama critic who writes a review of the play he has not bothered to see!

Alan Howe

Perhaps he did listen to them and couldn't tell the difference! The ultimate in incompetence...