Henriette Renié (1875-1956) Chamber music

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 25 April 2018, 22:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

FBerwald

I love her beautiful C minor Harp concerto.

eschiss1

IMSLP has some material related to these works, though to my surprise Gallica @ BNF seems to have nothing of hers (maybe because she died too recently for her music to be public domain in Europe yet. Oh. Hrm, right, of course. BNF (not-Gallica) may have quite a lot, I should look there instead...)

JimL

AFAIK the only performance available on YT of the harp concerto only has 3 of the 4 movements. Is there a complete performance available anywhere?

TerraEpon

Quote from: JimL on Friday 27 April 2018, 17:44
AFAIK the only performance available on YT of the harp concerto only has 3 of the 4 movements. Is there a complete performance available anywhere?

For some reason the recording itself lacks the movement, no idea at all why.
You can find all four movements on this disc:
https://www.amazon.com/Belle-Epoque-Emmanuel-Ceysson/dp/B00VKTI16A/

Alan Howe

The Cello Sonata is a gorgeous work, with echoes of Fauré and Franck. Well worth investigating by anyone who has seen through the misleading statement that there are few works for cello in the romantic period worthy of attention. My order placed through the link at MusicWeb last Wednesday arrived from France today! Excellent!

Here's MusicWeb's description of the piece:
Although its date of origin is uncertain, the Sonata for Cello and Piano was published in 1919. It holds the distinction of being the only composition by Renié not for the harp. It must have been highly regarded, as it picked up the Alain Chartier prize from the Académie des Beaux-Arts. The opening bars of the first movement reminded me of the beginning of Gabriel Fauré's Violin Sonata No. 1 and, in fact, Fauré's spirit hovers over the entire work. César Franck's Violin Sonata is also referenced. The music is heavily romantic, sensuously passionate and richly soused with lyricism. Aude Pivôt and Flore Merlin play with rapt intensity and a compelling sense of shared purpose.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Apr/Renie_chamber_LIDI0302325.htm