Glazunov Symphonies & Concertos/Serebrier

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 05 July 2018, 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I very rarely throw CDs away, but the Anissimov had to go. Sorry!

adriano

So did I, Alan, with all of his Glazunov CDs :-)

FBerwald

Alan Howe

But far too expensive (well over £40 in the UK) for a re-issue of 35 year-old recordings.

Actually Presto...
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8519976--glazunov-the-symphonies
...are selling the set at £34.50 - maybe because they believe it's a 4-CD set, when it's actually 5?

Alan Howe

...and Amazon.co.uk are selling the complete symphones and concertos under Serebrier for £15.69 - that's under £2 per CD.

hyperdanny

I have to admit that, despite the critical acclaims of "reference" that saluted Serebrier's cylcle since the beginning, I still keep going back to Jarvi.
The German orchestras (at least, the Bayerischen Rundfunks) sound that tad more sophisticated than the very good Scots, and Jarvi's clarity and driving energy (that sometimes turns into aggressiveneness, but not here) really brings home these wonderful symphonies like no one else.
Sometimes the difference is small, but sometimes not: for example the gleaming grandeur that Jarvi gives to the 8th..I just do not find in Serebrier's.
I really love my Glazunov, and I treasure both cycles, but as I said it's good old Jarvi I more often return to.
Also, I think Orfeo's sound is great considering its early digital vintage, and has not dated much.
The only thing I eventually found that I clearly prefer to Jarvi (it's only one symphony, though) is the Japanese Exton's CD with the 5th, the direction is good not exceptional, but the Czech Philharmonic's playing is absolutely breathtaking.

Alan Howe

These days - and probably also back in the day - the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra would be considered one of the world's great orchestras, but the Bamberg Symphony were always more variable. The RSNO (for Serebrier) are somewhere in between, I'd say.

adriano

I think I am going to buy that Järvi set too - and have Otaka's taken out. It's really incredible what Järvi achieves, no matter in which musical style, so I am confident without even needing to listen to samples. Svetlanov's version (in the complete 18-CD Glazunov set) will, of course, remain in my collection - and always be cherished.
The Bamberger Symphoniker was Joseph Keilberth's orchestra from 1950 till 1968 (the year of his death).

khorovod

I am fortunate that I bought the Orfeo discs back in the day when they were new releases, though I suppose that was still a considerable outlay of money thinking about it. I do like these performances and the sound is very good. I bought the Serebrier when it came out as a boxed set because of the many laudatory reviews. I return to the Jarvi more often though.

FBerwald

@hadrianus I return to Järvi's Glazunov and Berwald set more than any other recording in my collection. His take on Glazunov's Symphony no. 6 is as perfect as it can get.

hyperdanny

@hadrianus: if you're accustomed to Otaka, you're in for a shock.
I found his versions decently played, very well recorded, but plodding, pulseless to the point of lethargic.
Don't get me wrong, there is something to be said for stately, luxuriant Glazunov, in the way Yondani Butt did with various London "Rolls-Royce" orchestras on ASV, (on the right day, a guilty pleasure of mine) but Otaka was too much..
Anyway, Jarvi is on another plane altogether.
Actually, I think that this cycle is one of his top 10 accomplishments,
Hundreds of cd's, brilliant traversals of lesser known and hence more difficult repertoire, what a musical mind Jarvi père must be!

adriano

@ hyperdanny & FBerwald
I was never accustomed to Otaka, I had listened to it years ago just once, and the impression was good, but there are more Svetlanov listenings stored in the memory. So I am anxiously looking forward to the Järvi set :-)

hyperdanny

@hadrianus...oh , ok, I just (wrongly) inferred it was your benchmark because you said you were going to remove it from your collection..anway: I cannot possibly think you're going to be disappointed by Jarvi senior.

PS actually, when anybody gets the new reissue set, could you let me know if it's been remastered? I have the original issues . and the sound was terrific, but, just because it was good to begin with, a 2018-technology remastering could make it even better.

Alan Howe

There's no mention of re-mastering either on the reverse of the box or at Orfeo's website.