Glazunov Symphonies & Concertos/Serebrier

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 05 July 2018, 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

mjmosca

I enjoyed reading MartinH's reply " But it's Fedoseyev - one of the most vulgar, unmusical barbarians ever to wield a baton. Anyone who would butcher Tchaikovsky's Manfred the way he did should be banished from concert halls forever." Of course, now I want to hear what Fedoseyev does with, or to- Manfred, perhaps my favorite of the Tchaikovsky symphonies.

Manfred is something of a special case since there is a tradition of conductors making changes to it-particularly the last movement. I have attended performances where the end of the last movement- the peroration with organ- was replaced with a reprise of the coda of the first movement. The magnificent conclusion of the first movement is so good, I was happy to hear it repeated! Is this barbarism? Perhaps- but it was wonderful to hear. 

MartinH

That's pretty much what he does with it: takes out the quiet ending and replaces it with the loud first movement ending. Other changes in orchestration are uncalled for, too.

eschiss1

That makes me curious but Tchaikovsky-Research says nothing about any composer revision or anything of the kind so... grrr, indeed.

Alan Howe

mjmosca

The Glazounov series on Naxos, including all of the symphonies lead by Alexander Anissimov are also well worth investigating. His recording of the Symphony Number 6 is very good, in that he takes the middle movements slowly which really imparts a weight to these movements that can sound like charming parts of a ballet, particularly after the magnificent first movement.

Alan Howe

I can't see the point of buying any of the Naxos series when you can get the lot with Serebrier so ridiculously cheaply.

mjmosca

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 17 July 2018, 18:16
I can't see the point of buying any of the Naxos series when you can get the lot with Serebrier so ridiculously cheaply.

May I suggest two reasons, one general, one specific. This may be my "madness" but when I become interested in a composer, or work, I want to have more than one recording, to compare different approaches. I am certainly going to add the complete set by Serebrier despite the fact that I have his recordings of the Glazunov 4, 5, 7 and 8. The specific problem is with Serebrier's recording of the Glazunov Fifth [widely considered his symphonic masterpiece], which [in my opinion] is unsuccessful: his continuous and exaggerated changes of tempo , accelerations followed by big ritards, ruins the grand sweeping themes of the first movement. Perhaps an excess of love? I hate to be critical because Serebrier is clearly a champion of Glazunov. In any event, I would not suggest Serebrier as a one and only recording for ones collection, but instead as a second set. Fedoseyev [also available at a bargain price] or Rozdestvensky provide solid alternative performances. Anissimov on Naxos may have fixed bag sonics, but I have greatly enjoyed his approach to the works of Glazunov, also.

FBerwald

Finally... My biggest disappointment with Serebrier was his reading of the 5th Symphony. As @mjmosca says his tempo swing nearly kills the symphony. Besides my obvious Jarvi bend, I like this recording by Sinaisky - A very powerful reading https://www.allmusic.com/album/glazunov-symphony-no-5-mw0001852661

Alan Howe

I discarded my one Naxos/Anissimov CD because I found it so dreary. Just shows how much opinions can vary.

TerraEpon

Yeah, the discs of the Naxos series with the symphonies are pretty bleh...but the non-symphonic works tend to hold up much better, and AFAIK it has the only recording of Masquerade and the only modern one of Raymonda.

eschiss1

Fedotov's recording of the complete Raymonda (Brilliant Classics, other labels) seems to be fairly recent, I'm not sure?...)

TerraEpon

adriano

eschiss1

I think I may have found on Worldcat releases of the Fedotov as early as 1996, now that I look, unless that's something else. Not sure what the barrier is for recent though!...

minacciosa

I thought the Anissimov recordings were not good at all. Dull, as Alan said.