News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Pingoud: Didmiescio

Started by mikehopf, Thursday 05 July 2018, 23:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Ernest Pingoud was a Finnish composer 1887 - 1942 who , like Goring Thomas and Mme Bovary, threw himself under a train.

On Lithuanian Radio LRT Klasika on Sunday night

SPECIAL PROGRAM: Pasaulio koncertų salėse. Suomijos radijo simfoninio orkestro koncertas Helsinkyje. Solistė G. Schultz (sopranas). Diriguoja J. Storgårds. Programoje E. Pingoudo ,,Didmiesčio veidas", W.A. Mozarto arijos ir J. Adamso ,,City Noir". (2 hrs.)

NB I'm behaving myself... no jokes about penguins!

mikehopf

Erratum: Anna Karenina not Emma Bovary

eschiss1

Pangolins would seem more a propos anyway. Auk!

JimL

Wasn't Pingoud a bit on the avant-garde side for this forum's remit? At least towards the end of his career, IIRC.

mikehopf

I think that this is the work that is being broadcast:

Pingoud's last two works La face d'une grande ville and La flamme éternelle were heard in Helsinki at the end of the 19305. La face d'une grande ville is the first Finnish example of urban industrial romanticism. The seven movements are The Forgotten Street, Factories, Monuments and Fountains, Neon Lights, The Procession of the Unemployed, Unsleeping Houses, and Thee Dialogue of the Street Lights and the Morning Glow. The Forgotten Street paints an impressive picture of the silent, empty streets of the sleeping city. In Factories the machines pound away as a bruitist ostinato. Even more intensive are the repeated throbbing rhythmic figures in Neon Lights, where the performers are given the directions "sempre automaticamente". The grim passage of the unemployed is written as a Mahler-like funeral march. Unsleeping Houses features two dances, an oriental tango and a slow waltz. The movement ends with a piano solo, summoning up visions of a tired jazz improvisation in a smoky restaurant around closing-time.

Alan Howe

Just a gentle reminder: it's best to run posts such as this past the moderators first...

M. Yaskovsky

Avant garde, modernistic or not, I hope a commercial recording will be made!

Gareth Vaughan

Just listened to this work on YouTube. I think it's very much within our remit - and, incidentally, very beautiful (IMHO). I too hope a commercial recording will be made.

M. Yaskovsky

Alan Howe

Thanks, Gareth, for your 'steer'. Could you supply a link to the performance, please? Thanks!

Gareth Vaughan

Certainly (sorry it's taken a little time) - here you are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzfO4E03Ino

FBerwald

Never heard of this composer so I looked him up and the stunning 2nd Piano Concerto is imho a must-hear!

Gareth Vaughan

I agree. It's really lovely.

eschiss1

We used to have his La face d'une grande ville (1936-37) (uploaded 2011) in our old downloads section, (haven't checked the link to make sure it still works...) so don't forget to include looking him up within this site (which Google won't catch.)

note: which it doesn't. sigh. YouTube has it, though, from a link that's equally 7 years old, coincidentally he jokes.

Gareth Vaughan

Yes. That's the link I posted above.