Manuscripts of Lachner symphonies 2 and 4

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 17 July 2018, 12:53

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Surviving manuscripts of Franz Paul Lachner's 2nd symphony, since this was raised in another thread...

His 2nd, in F, was performed in 1834 in Vienna according to the 5 March 1834 A.M.Z. p.159 (as digitized and available @ Google Books; what may have been the premiere of symphony 3 is mentioned in an August 1834 issue on page 585.)  I think RISM mentions manuscript material of the 4th symphony - ah, yes it does (the new RISM interface qv makes it a little harder to find but this is a link to the autograph score...) (125f - so 250 pp I guess.)

Ah, here now... this seems to be a link to the autograph score of no.2 @ Munich dated 9 February 1833. (120f - 240 pp, I guess.)

Hopefully there might be some interest, despite the composer's already-noted failure to be as good as Schubert (let alone other tauter composers), in dusting off and recording these works , or at least having a look at them...

(and then there's those manuscripts, mostly but not entirely juvenilia, by Hiller @ Frankfurt, that also seem - to me anyway - intriguing. Actually, GUF(rankfurt) has digitized a fair number of ... ok, that's offtopic already. Though some of it might be by Lachner, I should check. :D )

eschiss1

Thanks to Cypressdome for uploading the score of symphony no.4 to IMSLP.

Edit: and symphony no.2 op.44 too.