News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Louis Glass symphonies

Started by eschiss1, Monday 23 July 2018, 11:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I see that the Danish Royal Library has uploaded digital copies of quite a few Glassworks (sorry to the language, if not to Philip Glass who also likes the term), including the autographs of at least his symphonies 1, 2, 4 and 6 in full score (to rex.kb.dk.)

vesteel

Louis Glass has some good symphonies! His Third and Fifth are my personal favorites (coincidentally they're also the ones that haven't been digitized...  :()

eschiss1

The fifth is available @ IMSLP and my local library has a full score of no.3 which I could try to scan (I'm not good at it but.)

JimL

Great news! Now if only someone would clean up the score of his VC and digitize it! The copy at IMSLP is the MS, probably in need of editing.

matesic

Vesteel took the words out of my mouth. I only started investigating them a week ago but the named symphonies 3 and 5 I think deserve much wider exposure. Nos 2 and 4 I find somewhat overblown and (paradoxically?) less impressive. 1 and 6 await judgement.

semloh

Just a reminder that the Louis Glass symphonies can all be heard on YouTube.

eschiss1

It may be that for the least known of them it will be good to have the cpo recordings for comparison, eventually...