Dussek PCs (vol.2) from Shelley/Hyperion

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 29 August 2018, 10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Spot on, Alan. What a very attractive disk.

JimL

The Dussek G minor concerto is one of the 2 (the other being the Beethoven 3) that essentially created the genre of the 'Romantic' piano concerto well before the 'period' itself started.

eschiss1

... suggestion: highlight "Dussek", "add word to vocabulary" or similar... because that's twice now I've noticed.

Gareth Vaughan

Or just read through what you've typed before posting it. Easy enough to overlook.

Alan Howe

Corrected, teacher-style.

Oh: teachers aren't allowed to correct in red any more, are they? Grrrrrrrrrr!

eschiss1

OOCuriosity:
as there are large (if not complete, maybe "complete in intention" or "not finished yet, we'll see if it becomes complete") series of Dussek's piano sonatas on recording (Marvin on Dorian (complete?), current ongoing series on Brilliant Classics), I'd ask

*is this intended to be a complete series of his keyboard concertos (not including those for harp, except in their keyboard versions maybe)?
*is there a near-complete competitor on another label? (I don't know of any single series.)
*Have all his concertos even -been- recorded commercially before? (Worldcat suggests no, but isn't the last resort...)

Wikipedia lists 13 for keyboard (and 3 more lost/dubious), plus the 2-keyboard and orchestra concerto Op.63/C.206 would probably/hopefully be included, (and some of the 3 still existing harp concertos as have keyboard versions may be in that list or may not, I'm not sure, so... 14-17..?)

Re corrections in red: only if it's BYOB. ;)

Gareth Vaughan

I don't think this is intended to be a complete edition of Dussek's piano concertos, just part of the Hyperion Classical PC series - but they might very well end up including all of them in the series over time (as I hope they will do with Steibelt and Cramer).