Marx Autumn Symphony from cpo

Started by mjkFendrich, Tuesday 04 September 2018, 21:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I was thinking of the opening of Herbstsymphonie - very Daphnis-like, surely?

der79sebas

The opening is 1:1 the opening of Schreker's "Die Gezeichneten" (Prelude to a drama, respectively). Later in the symphony, also Franz Schmidt (think e.g. of the notorious "Notre Dame"-Intermezzo) is there. In fact, when I heard the piece for the first time, I thought "Pfitzner goes Scriabin" - more than a decade later I have arrived at "Schmidt goes Schreker"!

adriano

Alan Howe

adriano

... On the other hand I suspect Respighi to have been inspired by Marx in writing the first movement of his "Pini di Roma" (1924) - Just listen to the opening of the 4th movement of "Eine Herbstsymphonie"! He may not have heard the Vienna 1922 premiere, but he could most probably hire or peruse its score, since Respighi had also a contract with Universal Edition ("La campana sommersa", "Sinfonia drammatica", "La Primavera" and "Concerto gregoriano" were published by Universal).

And here are some reviews of Jurowski's 2017 interpretation (a good idea to couple "Herbstsymphonie" with Respighi's "Poema autunnale"):

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/30/lpo-jurowski-review-marx-autumn-symphony-london-philharmonic

https://bachtrack.com/de_DE/review-marx-autumn-jurowski-fischer-london-philharmonic-november-2017

A final personal note: I am sure I won't re-listen this Symphony as often again as Glière's "Ilya Murometz" :-)

Alan Howe

QuoteI am sure I won't re-listen this Symphony as often again as Glière's "Ilya Murometz"

Richtig! Zuviel Sachertorte!

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Joost Kiefte

If Schreker had written a symphony, it might have sounded something like this.

Franz Schmidt's 3rd symphony of 1928 occupies the same sound world as the 3rd movement of the Herbstsymphonie.

Botstein didn't do much for me, but Wildner's version sounds just ideal. The delightful orientalism of the last movement comes out very well indeed.

adriano

Schreker's op. 1 is, in fact, his early Symphony attempt. It was available on Koch Schwann in 1999. Of course, his "Kammersymphonie für 23 Soloinstrumente" is also a Symphony - and a masterwork.

eschiss1

New recording now reviewed on Musicweb.

I'm amused (in a good, not annoyed way) that Mr. Barnett brings in Cuclin - as in "The music might even remind you of Scriabin or early Miaskovsky or Cuclin, or of Bax in his Spring Fire or Nympholept." - be told, I shouldn't mind if the comparable Cuclin works become well-enough known that that makes sense.

Alan Howe

I wonder which works by Cuclin he means?

adriano

His First Symphony perhaps? It's a rather turgid thing too...

Alan Howe

There's a performance on YouTube, but turgid is certainly the word...