Reinecke Orchestral works vol.1

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 27 April 2020, 22:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Great. Sorry to have confused you, Eric.

eschiss1

My fault entirely. Looking forward to hearing the new recording, and hoping that there are several volumes to come--- if possible.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

It's a positive review, but to compare what Reinecke was writing in 1895 (his 3rd Symphony) with works by younger composers (Mahler's Resurrection Symphony, Strauss' Till Eulenspiegel, Elgar's From the Bavarian Highlands, Dvořák's Cello Concerto) is just plain silly. In 1895 Reinecke was 71; Mahler was 35, Strauss 31, Elgar 38 and Dvořák 54! If we extend the comparison, when Strauss was 71 in 1935, he too was an anachronism - as was Elgar at the same age in 1928. Mahler and Dvořák didn't even live to be 71! Poor old Reinecke: he just lived too long and kept composing, remaining true to his ideals!

eschiss1

late Saint-Saëns is not a horrible comparison and contains some very good music (imho). (Eg the 2nd cello sonata, from age 69; the 2nd cello concerto, from age 67... age 71, the cantata Gloire de Corneille, I'm not familiar with yet.)

eschiss1

The reviewer also gets Reinecke's birthyear flipped, I see.
Hrm. Ok, I should see who else was born in the 1820s-or-so, still composing in the 1890s (besides JBr!), ... (but for myself; too tangential, I see it can't be for this thread...)
(Well, one more- Gouvy's late works from the late 1880s when he was almost 70.)

CelesteCadenza

That MusicWeb review also indicates that an "Uppsala Rhapsody op.24 [10.45]" is contained on this CD - too much cutting and pasting and inadequate proofreading methinks.

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 14 October 2020, 21:44
Review here:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Oct/Reinecke-orchestral-v1-5551142.htm

Alan Howe

Didn't spot that! The piece is by Alfvén, of course! As you say, must have been some careless proofreading.

Alan Howe

If friends haven't yet heard the superb performance of No.3 on this CD, here it is in full:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-wmnIXpGvs

eschiss1

I'm guessing that the mention of the Alfven has been removed from that review, though at least one obvious typo has not.

Alan Howe

Any more comments on Symphony No.3?