News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rimsky-Korsakov Operas

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 03 December 2018, 20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

scottevan

When I listed my R-K recommendations earlier this month, I had a feeling I was leaving something important out. "Snow Maiden" (Snegurochka) is it. Russian to the core, melodic, touching in its theme. An unjustly neglected masterwork, to be sure.

Very good points as to why Russian operas, particularly those of R-K, are not more widely known outside their home country. The language is a big part of it. One reason why the recent production of Rubinstein's "Demon" was so successful at the recent Bard Music Festival was that the principal singers all hailed from Russia.

I agree with Christopher that "May Night" (also not included in my earlier list) is among R-K's best, the superb (and too brief) tenor aria from Act 3 being a particular highlight.

I just realized that the stories of two of my favorite R-K operas ("Snow Maiden" and "The Slippers") were also covered by Tchaikovsky, and they're likewise two of my favorite operatic works of his. Why so? I think because the two stories are so intrinsically Russian, which brought out some of the best work in their respective composers. (True, Tchaikosky's "Snow Maiden" is actually incidental music, but it comes across as more operatic than anything.)

Alan Howe

Oh yes, Snow Maiden and May Night are further highlights. Both are wonderful in respect of atmosphere and melody.

Christopher

Quote from: scottevan3 on Tuesday 25 December 2018, 00:00

I just realized that the stories of two of my favorite R-K operas ("Snow Maiden" and "The Slippers") were also covered by Tchaikovsky, and they're likewise two of my favorite operatic works of his. Why so? I think because the two stories are so intrinsically Russian, which brought out some of the best work in their respective composers. (True, Tchaikosky's "Snow Maiden" is actually incidental music, but it comes across as more operatic than anything.)

The stories come from the pens of Ostrovsky and Gogol who were wildly popular in Russia at the time, and remain so.

Alan Howe

My goodness, The Golden Cockerel is a fascinating score, quite unlike his earlier operas. I can see how it must have fascinated the modernists with its biting wit and sarcasm, not to mention its advanced harmonies and unusual orchestration (e.g. use of percussion). I don't think it'll ever be a favourite of mine, but what music this is...

adriano

Pleased to hear this, Alan!
In the late 1960s I made a presentation of Rimsky's "Petuchok" at the Zurich Conservatory (using the Kovalev/Akulov recording, issued in Europe by Le Chant du Monde) together with recitations of the libretto's excerpts and projections of those fascinating contemporary tales' illustrations by Bilibin. Teachers and fellow students shook their heads and could not understand why I liked this silly and superficial music! But I was used to such provincial reactions - after I had done similar shows on Charles Ives, Erik Satie and (you don't believe it!) Tchaikovsky!
In the meantime I also could find the 1988 Svetlanov recording, which is excellent. The only negative aspect is the sound; it's a live recording from the Bolshoi, with applauses and microphones placed a bit too far away.

Alan Howe

And then there's Kaschey the Immortal (I have bought Gergiev's recording). Not as strange or exotic as The Golden Cockerel, this is nevertheless in R-K's late style - often harmonically unstable, immensely varied orchestrally and often alternating sections of recognisable melody with passages of dialogue. Quite extraordinary. And quite wonderful.

adriano

Oh yes, Alan! I have only the (great) old Melodiya recording, conducted by Samosud.
The best music is in the second tableau and in the final singer's quartet: it's quite original, more "modern" and somehow Rimsky-atypical. It makes me dare to think that we are not too far away from Shostakovich's "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk"...
Stravinsky immortalised the villain Kastchei (the legendary Tzar Koschei the Deathless and his enchanted garden) in his "Firebird" ballet. Today he is also the protagonist of some video games...

On Rimsky's,operas there are various studies, which I can recommend.
In earlier postings I've already quoted Richard Taruskin's book "On Russian Music", which contains the chapters "The case for Rimsky Korsakov" and "Kitezh, Religious Art of an Atheist". Incidentally, the autor quotes Richard Strauss, who, after having heard the suite of "Christmas Eve" said: "That is all very welll, but we are no children anymore"...

The site academia.edu has also various interesting studies, as "Lending support to Russian dual faith (dvoeverie) as a facet of identity – aspects of belief in Rimsky-Korsakov's operas". and "Rimsky-Korsakov - a decisive influence in the search for a Russian national identity" (by John Nelson) - or "The operas of NA Rimsky-Korsakov from 1897 to 1904" (by Stephen Muir).
One can download many interesting articles from there! In any case, I have the two last mentioned ones already.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Adriano. What a repository of information this site is!

I'm now listening to The Maid of Pskov (c. Gergiev), which apparently occupied R-K for around a quarter of a century. This is much more 'accessible' music than Kaschey the Immortal or The Golden Cockerel - and probably more to my taste, if I'm being honest. From the outset one notices the wonderful orchestration - my goodness, this score requires a first-class orchestra - and the easy, heartfelt lyricism. Beautiful solos for the woodwind abound. A real treat for the ears.

scottevan

>Have you seen Gergiev's DVDs of 'The Golden Cockerel' and 'Tsar Saltan'?

I just viewed "Saltan," and cannot recommend it highly enough. Truly a revelation.

A story as imbued in fantasy as this deserves a traditional, Russian storybook production; that's exactly what you get from the Maryinsky,  conducted by Gergeiv. I'd even call it ultra-traditional. I've waited *many* years for a more modern recording than the only one generally available,  from the late 50s, conducted by Nebolsin. As fine as that old recording is, you really do need good sonics to appreciate the incredible orchestration. I'm with Alan on that point.

As far as I know, it's only available as a DVD / Blu Ray combo, not as a CD. Still worth it.

Master Jacques

>As far as I know, it's only available as a DVD / Blu Ray combo, not as a CD. Still worth it.

The DVD is a lacklustre Kirov effort, though the singing is very good. Much better is the classic Bolshoi recording under Nebolsin (1950s) which has been available on Melodiya 2-CD recently. If that's hard to source, then the Aquarius label's 2-CD transfer is just as good - and cheaper.

The Aquarius Moscow website has all the classic Rimsky opera Bolshoi performances available, and then some. They're good to deal with, ship the CDs quickly, and I really can't recommend them highly enough. All quality, mainly with English notes too.

http://aquarius-classic.ru/?ver=eng

britishcomposer

A very helpful discussion with lots of recommendations.
My only recording of May Night is the 1946 Golovanov. Do you know if this is a complete recording?
The 2001 rerelease by the Italian Aura label runs at 1h 51min.
Which other recording would you recommend: Nebolsin, Fedoseyev or Lazarev?

adriano

May Night: Comparing Golovanov's single track timings with those of Fedoseyev, they both look as making a pretty complete version. That is what Lazarev's may also be (I don't have this in my collection, it may be perhaps a better interpretation than Fedoseyev's). Golovanov's interpretation is just super, but most music lovers prefer looking at the audio system first...

britishcomposer

Thank you, Adriano!
I was never in doubt about Golovanov's merits. My concern was about the short playing time but I have now compared the timings of the  tracks in different recordings. It seems that Golovanov was just a little faster each time. Nebolsin has a pretty legendary cast though...

Finn_McCool

Sorry I am just seeing this now, but I wanted to let folks in the District of Columbia,  Maryland and Virginia (aka "the DMV") in the US know that scrappy local opera company Bel Cantanti is in the middle of staging "The Tsar's Bride" in Silver Spring,  Maryland.  There are two performances left, this Saturday and Sunday.   My wife and I are planning to go the Saturday performance.   I saw this company stage Bizet's "Pearl Fishers" last year and it was really well done, with reduced orchestra (one per part per section plus piano/keyboard) and young 'n' hungry singers. It's not a big company and the sets are nothing to write home about,  but, according to Bel Cantanti, "This opera was performed in US only once, at the Kennedy Center in 1986 with Mstislav Rostropovich conducting and his wife, Galina Vishnevskaya directing the show. Our production is the second known in US performance of this opera."  It's a rarity, so I am fine with the smaller scale.  I know the music will be good.  This will be my first time seeing a Rimsky-Korsakov opera.

Saturday, May 18, at 7:30pm 
Sunday, May 19, at 3:00pm 
Randolph Road Theater (4010 Randolph Rd, Silver Spring, MD) 

Stage Director: Tyler Eighmey 
Stage Designer: Ksenia Litvak 
Producer and Artistic Director: Katerina Souvorova 

Tickets are sold online through www.eventbrite.com and at the door. 
Information: (240)230-7372 or tickets@belcantanti.com 
Go to Eventbrite Adult: $40, Senior: $35, Student: $15. Groups of 10 and more: $30.

eschiss1

... I thought it was DelMarVa with Del standing for Delaware.