News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rimsky-Korsakov Operas

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 03 December 2018, 20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Could anyone please orientate me with regard to R-K's operas? Which are his greatest operas - and why? And which recordings might friends recommend?

Shira

I only know "The Tsar's Bride". Very beautiful music. I just listened to a recording with Galina Vishnewskaya, Christina Anghekakova, Vladimir Atlantow and Evgheny Nesterenko from Bolshoi which I can greatly recommend.

eschiss1

I keep meaning to listen (to more than what I have so far) to a video (@ Amazon Prime) or other recording of his very last opera (Golden Cockerel), which looks in score, and so far sounds, quite remarkable. (And yes to his others.)

scottevan

Perhaps because the season's upon us, I'd choose "Christmas Eve" as a good place to start. It brims over with melody and fantasy in the Russian folk idiom.

A more epic, and darker, side of R-Korsakov is "Tale of the Invisible City of Kitezh," my favorite if I had to choose. Brilliant orchestral painting, powerful themes, and a story which still has relevance. My recording of choice is the Melodiya LP set from I believe the 1960's or 70's; I'm not sure if there's been a CD transfer,

Right behind those I'd suggest "Sadko," closer in tone to "Christmas Eve," and with many of its same qualities. A production from the Bolshoi was released on VHS in the 90's, in an appropriately faithful rendition.

"Mlada" is more properly an opera-ballet. Befitting a pageant, the orchestral passages and choral writing take precedence. Like "Kitezh," the Melodiya LP's from that same era are my choice.

I've heard that the recent DVD / Blue Ray of "Tale of Tsar Saltan," conducted by Gergiev, is well worth seeking out. To my knowledge this was, except for "Servilia," the last operatic work of R-K to finally receive a proper studio recording: in this instance, staged.

Honorable mention to "The Maid of Pskov."  No folktale here; like "Tsar's Bride" this is a more realistic account of an episode from Ivan the Terrible's reign. I don't find it as consistent as some of the others but it has powerful moments, and some choruses as skillfully deployed as those in "Boris Gudonov." I actually prefer the old live recording with Boris Christoff over the more recent studio recording by Gergiev.

eschiss1

The one of Kitezh conducted by Svetlanov with Vedernikov and others recorded and released in 1975 or so? Worldcat suggests it was issued on CD by Chant du Monde around 1999 on 3 CDs. (But then Worldcat also lists another recording from Melodiya from the mid-1970s conducted by Nebolsine with other vocalists. And one or two others. Maybe it's a question of which Melodiya Kitezh you mean? :) )

Alan Howe

Thanks, everyone! I've ordered the Bolshoi/Melodiya recording of The Tsar's Bride which is clearly magnificently sung.

der79sebas

I totally agree with scottevan3. "Kitesh" is by far the best opera by Rimsky, his opus summum (Gergiev does a fine job there), but I also like "Christmas Eve" very much, "Mlada" and "Sadko" a little less. Maybe one should also mention "Kashchei" and one must not forget about the final "The Golden Cockerel", which has some very good music although a somewhat dull plot. On the other hand, Rimsky's most popular opera "Tsar's Bride" lets me completely cold, as does "Tale of Tsar Saltan". So the range is large and you have to find your own way through...

Alan Howe

adriano

Most of Rimsky's operas are beautiful and very valuable. I adore "Tsar Saltan" - and "The Golden Cockerel" perhaps even more. Its plot may appear dull to some listeners, but reading the libretto carefully, one discovers literary and satyrical treasures. Not to speak about its harsh political criticism! What is also interesting in "Cockerel": there are two different musical worlds (styles) used. A dull academic one for King Dodon and his entourage and an absolutely fascinating exotic music for the Queen of Shemaka and the plot by the Astrologer and his Rooster.
The best recording of "Cockerel" is, in my opinion, the 1968 Melodyia, in which the part of the Astrologer is a real "tenor altino" (two conductors are named: Kovalov and Akulov). Just to list Russian recordings, there is also an old Melodiya of 1951 with an excellent cast (conducted by Alexandr Gauk) and a more recent one of 2008 conducted by Dmitry Kitaenko. If I am lucky enough, there is a fourth one the way to my collection: Svetlanov's 1988 live from the Bolshoi. Bass Alexei Korolev sings the part of Dodon in both recordings of 1951 ans 1968.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Adriano. Have you seen Gergiev's DVDs of 'The Golden Cockerel' and 'Tsar Saltan'?

The reason I ask is that there is a real problem with historic recordings of this music in that R-K's wonderful powers of orchestration surely require high fidelity sound.

adriano

No I haven't Alan. I am not a great fan of Gergiev - although he does, occasionally, great performances. "Kitezh" is excellent.
His most horrible concert repertoire recordings are "Sheherazade" and "Pictures at an Exhibition"; a real shame. On the other hand, his (live) Szymanowski from London is great - and so are his Prokofiev Symphonies and Concertos.

We had a bad experience with him years ago at the Zurich Opera when he came over to conduct "Salomé" - it was simply preposterus what he did - and this already in rehearsals. And he never looked at the singers at all, they felt totally lost; I had to give every cue. Another assistant was also helping out on the opposite side of the wings where I was. In the midst of a rehearsal he suddenly stopped and said "I think this theatre is too small for Salomé" and then he continued without interrupting till the end. At the orchestra main rehearsal - everybody was ready in costume etc - he did not appear. We waited over 15 minutes, totally aghast - then he came in and said: "Sorry, I had to give an interview" - and he started to wave his Parkinson-like hands. Sometimes he hold the stick with two fingers only, letting it balance from above like a pendulum... And we all thought he was totally doped, since his expression was completely absent.

The two mentioned Russian stereo recordings of "The Golden Cockerel" have excellent sound balances - and the mono one is equally excellent. Comparing with scores I actually never missed anything. I think it is not always necessar to put a colorful score on an operation table, making everything hearable. Rimski had also a perfect sense of a well balanced tutti. In "Cockerel" there are even chamber-music-like sections, this to emphasize particular effects which may drown in a tutti.

Alan Howe

Pristine Audio have produced a sonically restored version of the Aleksey Kovalev/Yevgeny Akulov 'Golden Cockerel':
https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/paco104

scottevan

QuoteThe one of Kitezh conducted by Svetlanov...released in 1975 or so?

That's the one, with the Bolshoi Theater orchestra, though the set is dated 1983.

QuoteWhat is also interesting in "Cockerel": there are two different musical worlds (styles) used.

I've noticed this, too. A fascinating, screwball comedy folktale with very satirical undertones. "Kitezh" may be his finest, but "Cockerel" is Korsakov's valedictory statement. I saw a performance many years ago with (I believe) Norman Triegle as Tsar Dodon.  Also caught the recent ballet version in NY City, which preserved most of the opera's music and had incredible Russian-storybook style sets.

adriano

NYC Opera: Yes, and with Beverly Sills as the Queen!

https://www.amazon.com/Rimsky-Korsakov-Coq-DOr-N/dp/B0002ABU9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIDyxdc6Iw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1TePizviE

The best recording of "Kitezh" is the old Melodiya (mono) conducted by Nebolsin (who also conducts the old recording of "Tsar Saltan"). Incredible singers, including the great Ivan Petrov!

Alan Howe

QuoteIncredible singers, including the great Ivan Petrov

Agreed, of course! But what about the wonderful orchestration?