News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Halvorsen from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 01 February 2010, 18:41

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

Seems like the Chandos Halvorsen volume 2 is being released mid October. Does anyone know the contents of this CD? This was all I could find on the web, not very informative...

http://www.abeillemusique.com/CD/Classique/CHAN10614/0095115161425/Chandos-Records/Johan-Halvorsen/OEuvres-orchestrales-Volume-2/cleart-36229.html

Morten

Alan Howe

M. Henriksen

Thanks Alan! How did I miss that one..?
It will be interesting to hear Järvi's reading of the 2nd symphony, by many (including me) considered to be Halvorsen's strongest work in that genre.

Morten

Alan Howe

Presto often have details of forthcoming releases before other sellers, although their prices are not usually competitive.

febnyc

I have the Halvorsen symphonies on Simax (First) and Norway Music (Second).  Also the Norwegian Rhapsodies and all of the theater music on the two BIS discs.  But it's been a long time since I've listened to any of it - thanks to this thread I'll remedy that forthwith!

Re:  Presto Classical - I find that some of their prices are very good.  On Dutton, especially, and the other labels on which they run sales.  Right now the Supraphons are priced very favorably.

Alan Howe

The release date for Vol.2 of the Chandos series is 27th September.

Alan Howe

This is another rip-roaring performing of a Halvorsen symphony from Järvi and the excellent Bergen orchestra. An outright winner from Chandos!

M. Henriksen

Good to hear Alan! The music press here in Norway seem to appreciate Järvi's readings of Halvorsen, but the positive feedbacks concentrates more on Chandos' engineering and a Bergen orchestra in good form - not so much on the music itself.

Morten