News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 13 June 2009, 16:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Here's the promised poll on whether we should have avatars.

JimL

As long as I can put a photo into the space, I have no qualms with whatever anybody else wants to put in theirs.

Kevin Pearson

Well, I guess everyone knows by now that I would be for it.   :P

Kevin

Mark Thomas

You might as well vote, then, Kevin  :)

Kevin Pearson

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 13 June 2009, 20:07
You might as well vote, then, Kevin  :)

You know Mark for some reason I didn't see the poll last time. I guess I was blind but now I see!  :D

Alan Howe

Sorry, I'm against - and I did see the poll. But only just!

Peter1953

I have voted against an avatar (my favourite unsung composer is Rubinstein, but it doesn't make sense to add a picture of this grumpy looking master to my posts). I know that in business (adverts or whatever) it can be a marketing tool, simply because a picture says 1,000 times more than words. But the first argument why I'm against it is that I don't think an avatar adds something valuable to our Forum. Secondly, more important, who are all those guests visiting our Forum? What is their purpose? Probably for the main part getting interesting information for their own use, but there can be other reasons as well.
Having said this, of course I respect other opinions!

Kevin Pearson

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 14 June 2009, 06:48
I have voted against an avatar (my favourite unsung composer is Rubinstein, but it doesn't make sense to add a picture of this grumpy looking master to my posts).  Secondly, more important, who are all those guests visiting our Forum? What is their purpose?

For the most part guests on message boards are bots. Probably Google bots. Some are indeed legit surfers passing through but I gaurantee the majority are bots trolling the web. So, avatars would not affect them one way or another.

Kevin

Steve B

i have voted "yes" to avatars. But my only concern would be virus etc hidden in the avatar itself-is this possible?

If they are as safe as anything on the net can be, I think its an attractive idea. I like, Jim, would prefer to download a face shot of myself; would make the postings that extra bit more human. But people should feel free to include a photo(if possible), include a composer's or other not inappropriate avatar, or choose to opt out. Then everyone has a say.

Steve B

Kevin Pearson

Quote from: Steve B on Monday 15 June 2009, 12:22
i have voted "yes" to avatars. But my only concern would be virus etc hidden in the avatar itself-is this possible?

If they are as safe as anything on the net can be, I think its an attractive idea. I like, Jim, would prefer to download a face shot of myself; would make the postings that extra bit more human. But people should feel free to include a photo(if possible), include a composer's or other not inappropriate avatar, or choose to opt out. Then everyone has a say.

Steve B

In all the years that I have run message boards I have never seen or heard of a virus in picture files. You're usually talking about jpeg or gif files and usually 150X150 in height and width and 30kb in size. You're far more likely by a member posting a link to a site outside the board and getting a virus. Although I have never had that happen either.

Kevin

Kevin Pearson

It would have been nice if you had sent out an email to the membership to get more votes. I suspect a lot may come by but never look in this section of the board.

Kevin

Mark Thomas

Well I suppose that I could have done, but how far does one go? It's not as if it's a huge board and "Avatars" as a topic has been visible on the home page as a topic since I put up the poll. Maybe people just don't care one way or the other?

JimL

Well, how about, as opposed to avatars, just having a place to post a photo in the individual profiles, as was previously suggested?

Mark Thomas

The straight answer, Jim, is that I'll see if the software allows it. If it does, then I'll turn the facility on.

Mark Thomas

Sorry for the delay. I can't find an inbuilt way to included a personal photo on the Profile without it appearing as an avatar in all posts. So, I'll see if any one has made a modification to do so, but don't hold your breath.