News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

More Ries from Naxos

Started by Peter1953, Tuesday 05 October 2010, 08:27

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

I agree. In any case what's in a number? Its beautiful music anyways.

I know that you ARE NOT Jim.  Moriarty [aka Spoke Milligner ... the well known typing error!] incase you didn't know, was a Goon! check him out if Surrealistic Comedy is your cup of Indian TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee!

eschiss1

Agreed re the music of Ries I know so far :)
Oh, the Goon Show. I know of it, but haven't yet seen it. Anyhow. Right as Ries...
Must go see if I can now go hear one of the concertos (well, aside from in my head- I've seen several in reduced score or rather just the piano part only with indications in some cases...- and I have heard the Vox LP of the C-sharp minor op.55, some time back!) so that I can make penance for dragging the conversation offtopic. Apologies...

(Since Concertzender broadcast one of the Naxos discs last year, I'll see if I can listen to it :) )

eschiss1

Badley's notes to volume 4 of the Naxos series specify that the date of the opus 120 concerto pastorale is unknown. The Ries "Catalogue Thematique" states definitely that he composed it in London in 1814 - which raises some questions:
did Ries himself, and alone, put together the Catalogue as we have it;
when did he put it together (how reliable was his memory, was it at one point in time, etc.);
anyway- hrm.
I mailed Badley @ Artaria (probably not the right place exactly) to ask his opinion (probably could have been clearer about it, too) but will see...
Listening to it right now, though. Nice piece indeed, thanks for the prod :)

eschiss1

Badley responded to me just this morning with a polite and convincing answer, to the effect that the Catalogue Thematique was drawn up decades after these works were written (1829-1831 or so? I don't know) and his memory for those exact dates and places was probably uncertain.

His email also noted this, fwiw, maybe germane to this thread...

"Volume 5 will be out soon (the lucky last) and I think it will be a big hit."

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks for this news, Eric. I look forward to Vol. 5 very much.