Fritz Brun - copyright issues

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 13 April 2019, 12:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

UE when it asked IMSLP to cease and desist basically said, iirc, that yes since it was still downloadable in the EU no matter where it was uploaded from. 2 years later IMSLP took measures to make this much more difficult, so the site went back up. A number of publications that are C-EU but PD-elsewhere and published by Gebrüder Hug are @ IMSLP already; if Hug really objects to these they can email IMSLP as provided at its front page...

adriano

Thanks, eschiss1
But I am certainly not prompting Hug about this, in case the miniature score of the Brun Quartet will show up. They have more important problems surviving as a music publisher...
I am generally protesting becase I am struggling since the coming of internet that more rights to composers, musicans and publishers should be given. To me, the present situation is still very undignifying.

eschiss1

Brilliant Classics also has their own official YouTube channel, on which they've uploaded videos as brief as individual piano bagatelles and as long as 8 hours of Telemann several-CD sets (might be a playlist, have to double-check) (and many things, much of it within our remit and of general interest to this channel, I should add- I have no commercial association with them, etc., etc.). (They have not uploaded the Brun set there, I'd assume needless to say. Lots of other things, though.)

TerraEpon

Pretty sure all Brilliant uploads are full discs and sets, not playlists (outside of maybe in the early days). But yeah, they seem to be firmly in the 'if you can't beat em, join em' mentality on the matter.

adriano

@eschiss
Brilliant has (unfortunately) uploaded the complete Brun set on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kRIeSTQ72UT8TNnpUIy6TUgz2e7yg86Zs

Various companies (like Kontor Media in this case, acting on behalf of Brilliant) have now an agreement - and an obligation with YouTube, that the composer's copyrights are being respected. This especially after a new German law of a couple olf months ago.
It also appears that private uploads (I just discovered some new ones), will be controlled by Kontor Media. So let's be curious how really the next GEMA/SUISA copright statement of the Brun Estate will look!

This kind of "suicide by instalments" by labels I will never understand. They just should stop complaining about low sales: it's their own fault.

Incidentally, after my last complains on some other private uploads, YouTube/Google has asccused me of doing "illicit activities" - and they blocked my accounts without further comment. All I was trying is to put their attention about rewarding protected music! I think I was noot too far away to comparw YouTube/Google with a kind of Mafia.

eschiss1

BTW my* Naxos Music Library subscription through IMSLP no longer covers works that are not in fact @ IMSLP (a little more complicated than that even), so while I did have access to the whole NML for awhile- including eg the Brun symphonies streaming in their earlier incarnations - I don't now. So goes!

*(and - so far as I know others who get NML as part of an IMSLP subscription; it is now a limited though still quite large subset of NML)

adriano

I am suprised this affects Naxos - whose sole aim is to control the whole musical world...

As far as the theme in my earlier posting is concerned, already in 2016 there was an agreement with YouTube & Co.:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/02/business/international/germany-music-royalties-youtube.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube_videos_in_Germany

The new (2019) law is now being extended, among others, to enable artists to force YouTube deleting contents of which they are the (sole) right owners:
hyperallergic.com/492115/what-the-eus-new-copyright-law-means-for-artists/
dw.com/en/article-13-will-it-hinder-or-promote-artistic-expression/a-48081724

In other words I cannot claim anymore against Brun CDs of mine being privately uploaded to YouTube, since my rights as a performer are not included in the release agreements with the labels involved. Anyway, they would not have produced these recordings if I had insisted on royalties. Already in my early Naxos/Marco Polo years, I had to sign an agreement, renouncing to "neighbouring rights", otherwise all these recordings could not have been done.

But what is more important: Brun's music copright is now being controlled and respected on the so-called free internet.

One learns something new every day.