News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stanford Requiem

Started by Kevin, Wednesday 29 May 2019, 14:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I need some advice from you guys. I love Stanford but for whatever reason I've avoided his Requiem mass. I not a huge fan of ''death music'' to be honest, maybe that's why I've avoided it, but I'd thought I'd take the plunge. Anyway, is the work worth a listen? (it's a long work). How does it compare to some other requiems, is it in the same league as the popular ones?

Alan Howe

Kevin

Yeah, I imagined it wouldn't be in the same league as the Verdi(probably the greatest requiem)

hmm, I wonder, I see the work is as long the Dvorak Requiem. How does it compare to that one?

Hector

It doesn't really compare to either the Verdi or Dvorak Requiems. It is different to other big nineteenth century Requiem's, it is much more calm and has moments of great beauty - it seems a far more pleasant way to die than forte brass and timp sforzandos. If you are looking for Verdian guilt and horror you may well be disappointed, this is very English Requiem, rather like the quiet grandeur of Salisbury Cathedral. Lyrical and with rich harmonies.

Alan Howe

Jimfin

I love the Stanford Requiem, grave and passionate. Of his Latin liturgical settings (along with the Stabat Mater, Mass and Te Deum) it's the one i listen to most.

Kevin

QuoteIt doesn't really compare to either the Verdi or Dvorak Requiems. It is different to other big nineteenth century Requiem's, it is much more calm and has moments of great beauty - it seems a far more pleasant way to die than forte brass and timp sforzandos. If you are looking for Verdian guilt and horror you may well be disappointed, this is very English Requiem, rather like the quiet grandeur of Salisbury Cathedral. Lyrical and with rich harmonies.

Alright, just listened to this. I agree fully with the above summary, couldn't have said it better myself. It's almost as good as the Dvorak... almost.