Wanhal, Gassmann and Ordonez Works on HST

Started by Hernen, Monday 18 October 2010, 21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Hernen

I haven't seen it yet in the Forums, so I guess this might new to at least some of the users. Anyone who loves Wanhal (and who doesn't) but can't wait for his symphonies to be released on Naxos (which might take some 30 years if the keep the speed on the present level) there's one Amateur Orchestra in Japan called "Haydn Sinfonietta Tokyo" who are going to record all symphonies by Wanhal until December 2011! They've done about 45 so far and by October they'll release another bunch of four works (D1, D18, d1a, C8). In two similar series they're doing the same with the symphonies of Ordonez and Gassmann + some chamber works by all three composers. The first two or three disc a somehow difficult to listen to, as the quality of the perfomance (these are all live recordings) is in some parts not that good, but its remarkable how they've improved and are now doing an excellent job! And above all - this might be the only chance to listen to these works. Take a look at www.wanhal.com (which is mostly in Japanese). Some of the discs are avaiable at amazon.co.jp.

Alan Howe

I think that this topic may be a little early for this particular forum. Unless there's some good Sturm und Drang stuff in there somewhere...

eschiss1

Re Sturm und Drang, I think there almost definitely is in at least a few of these composers (Beck? Vanhal probably, a few others at least)...
(but probably less so than CPE Bach who is definitely outside the bounds of this forum, so... I don't know :) )
Eric

JimL

Certainly there is Sturm und Drang in Kraus.