News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dorothy Howell

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Friday 22 October 2010, 14:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

As readers of this forum will know, Valentina Seferinova is playing Dorothy Howell's Piano Concerto at London's Cadogan Hall, Sloane Terrace, with the Orion Symphony Orchestra under Toby Purser on November 11th. I hope any readers living in the metropolis or nearby will consider coming to this concert.
Here is a Youtube clip of Valya performing part of the PC before some of her students at South Downs College, with Director of Music, Peter Rhodes, playing the orchestral part (reduced for a second piano) on an upright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZea9kiORuM

thalbergmad

Excellent, I will be there.

Thal

Alan Howe

How big/long is Howell's PC overall, Gareth? Sounds magnificent!

John H White

From that clip it was certainly a magnificent display of pianistic pyrotechnics, but I just couldn't discern any particular tune in it. Perhaps it was just me though. :)

Gareth Vaughan

Howell's PC is actually quite short - about 18 minutes. In some ways the clip is unfair because (a) the concerto is essentially in one movt. and (b) a lot of the thematic material in the "finale" is in the orchestra, which doesn't make its presence felt very effectively on a 2nd piano.
But I hope people will support this concert if they are able to. We can't expect promoters to programme unsung works if we don't make the effort to attend concerts when they do.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Gareth, for the information. I will have been away at the Rufinatscha 6 recording sessions earlier that week, so it all depends how I am feeling whether I can attend or not.

Gareth Vaughan

Understood, Alan. I hope the Rufinatscha sessions go well. Doubtless, you will give us a full report.

giles.enders

I booked my seats a while ago.  I have waited a long time to hear a live perfomance of this concerto.

AnoneeMouse

thalbergmad

That is great.

Will have a listen later.

Thanks

Thal

Alan Howe

If there is to be a CD, it'll be well worth the wait...

AnoneeMouse

eschiss1

there's no need to post the links twice in two posts.

AnoneeMouse

Sorry; didn't mean to.
Was trying to use it as a "Quote ...."
Will know next time.
The problems of being a Newbie - please bear with me whilst I get the hang of it.
Humble regards to all

Alan Howe

Quote from: AnoneeMouse on Wednesday 17 November 2010, 22:09
The problems of being a Newbie - please bear with me whilst I get the hang of it.

Please don't apologise. Glad to have you on board!