Dutton releases for November 2010

Started by albion, Friday 22 October 2010, 23:25

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

A truly fantastic bonanza from Dutton to close what has been an exceptional year for this pioneering company - Rutland Boughton's 1924 music drama The Queen of Cornwall and three of his orchestral poems (together with three by Edgar Bainton), the second volume of John Foulds' light orchestral music, Stanley Bate's 4th Symphony ...

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

I've already put my order in!

febnyc

Great stuff - from a truly great label.

I know the music of all the composers involved, except for Paul Patterson.  Anyone have a clue?

(I'm not too interested in the posthumous "realisation" of the Arnell 7th Symphony.  I'd prefer to stick with the six which were completed by Arnell himself.)

eschiss1

Quote from: febnyc on Saturday 23 October 2010, 00:51
I know the music of all the composers involved, except for Paul Patterson.  Anyone have a clue?
I don't think I've heard his music. He was born in 1947 and composes and teaches in England. According to Wikipedia a set of variations of his is on a free-to-download CD (... hrm- some or a sample of it- listening to the beginning now- is on the violinist's homepage -- http://www.tasminlittle.org.uk/.)

Mark Thomas

The Boughton releases are especially welcome. As for the realisation of Arnell's Seventh, I'm usually a sucker for these (Elgar's Third, Tchiakovsky's Seventh and Mahler's Tenth being the standouts) but I can't say that I'm too excited by the Arnell. I though that the first five were fine pieces, but the Sixth left me absolutely cold.

JeremyMHolmes

Great minds think alike Albion, just I was posting my "alert" on the new Dutton releases on another thread!

Alan Howe

I'd be grateful for some idea of the idiom of Boughton's The Queen of Cornwall...

petershott@btinternet.com

This site, thankfully, does not serve as a vehicle for advertisements (and nor am I in the employ of the company concerned!). However I draw the attention of friends on the site to the fact that HMV on their website are offering the latest Dutton releases at £5.99 for a single CD, and £8.99 for a double. Thus possible ditherings about 'The Queen of Cornwall' are swept to one side in my haste to acquire it. Together with all the other latest releases available from 1st November (including David Matthews whose works I rate very highly indeed).

I've used HMV a lot recently. They offer a hefty discount on 'pre-orders', and a couple of weeks after release those invaluable Dutton CDs will go up to £7.99 - which is still incredibly generous and well below Dutton's own prices on their website. These prices are post-free.

Curiously each item ordered, even if ordered together, arrives individually in a stout little cardboard box by 1st class post and is sent from Jersey. The profit to HMV (if any!) must be almost entirely absorbed by postage costs. Not for me to comment on their practice, but long may it continue.

Apologies for a message of no musical interest whatsoever - but perhaps of value to those like me who want to snap up these bargains.

Peter

Alan Howe

Very helpful, Peter. Thanks. I use HMV a lot too...

M. Henriksen

Wow!
As you say Peter, what is HMV's profit on this?
Well, I will not complain..

Morten

Delicious Manager

I couldn't find a single Dutton CD on the HMV website (www.hmv.com). Am I looking in the wrong place?

Delicious Manager

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 02 November 2010, 12:28
Try here:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=-5339140341208560897&pGroupID=0&adultFlag=false&primaryID=0&simpleSearchString=dutton+vocalion&btnSubmitSearch.x=19&btnSubmitSearch.y=20

Thank you, Alan. The HMV site must have a crappy search facility. When I entered 'Dutton' it came up with nothing useful at all.

So, how to YOU search on this site (I'm usually pretty good at such things)?

eschiss1

I turn up a few things using Google... e.g. "dutton epoch site:hmv.com" turns up 6 hits.

Alan Howe

When I used the HMV search, I entered 'Dutton' and a number of suggestions came up, one of which was Dutton Vocalion - and that seemed to contain all the required releases. I agree, though: their search facility isn't really up to scratch.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThe HMV site must have a crappy search facility.

Their search facility is, indeed, truly appalling. However, if you enter the number of the CD you want (which you can find on the Dutton website) that seems to work.