Joseph Rheinberger -Not Just Organ Music-

Started by John Hudock, Tuesday 23 February 2010, 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

khorovod

The piano quintet is one of my favourite Rheinberger pieces. I am very fond of much of his chamber music. I splashed out on the Thorofon boxed set when it was released and am pretty well pleased with it even if the sound and the performances are not all at a consistently high level. The piano quartet comes a close second or is perhaps even equal to the quintet as far as I'm concerned.

I already have the individual CDs in the new orchestral works set from when they first came out. I think his best orchestral work is the Florentiner Symphony, released by Carus (? I think...) - what an expansive canvas and what uplifting music, as far as material goes almost an embarrassment of riches!

A very rewarding artist all round, I'd say.

Alan Howe

I am mightily impressed by the superb pianism of Antonio Pompa-Baldi on the Centaur CD of the piano sonatas, Op.47, 99 and 135. Indeed, this must surely be one of the best discs of Rheinberger's music in the current catalogue: superb playing, superior sound and some of the composer's finest music - in the Schumann-Brahms tradition for sure, but with Rheinberger's uncanny gift for winning melody and beautiful textures. Try the C major sonata's opening movement: just sublime!

DennisS

I have only recently discovered Rheinberger but am already a convert to his music, orchestral music that is. I first purchased the Wallenstein symphony (the two CDs on Christopheros) and absolutely loved it - a dense work with lots and lots of musical ideas to appreciate : I particularly liked the main theme of the third movement - very memorable. I then purchased the Florentiner symphony and found that work hugely enjoyable also. On Mark's recommendation, I then bought the PC (coupled with the Sgambatti PC).  Again, I very much enjoyed both works. I have not as yet got around to listening to any of the organ concertos for which he is better known. Both the Wallenstein and Florentiner symphonies are longuish works (each in excess of 50 mins duration) but the time, for me at least, passes swiftly by!

Cheers
Dennis

Mark Thomas

The Organ Concertos are interesting because, against all expectations, neither of them is a monumental work. Both manage to be quite intimate, or domestic, in scale and one of them, I can't immediately remember which, has a very pared-down orchestra. That said, they are chock full of winning melody and are a delight from beginning to end.

khorovod

Quote from: DennisS on Thursday 12 August 2010, 01:18
Both the Wallenstein and Florentiner symphonies are longuish works (each in excess of 50 mins duration) but the time, for me at least, passes swiftly by!

I agree absolutely. I wasn't sure if he would be able to sustain his inspiration throughout the long Florentiner Symphony but he really does. I'm very fond of the piece.

I haven't heard the organ concertos either but there seem to be some quite reasonably priced recordings out there. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Gerhard Griesel

I regard Rheinberger's organ concertos as brilliant. The use of the French horn gives a unique colour to some movements.  I have two recordings of his organ concertos. Both have (different) solo violin/cello + organ works wedged in between. I feel if these works could have been transcribed for string orchestra and organ, they would have been very, very pleasant. So far I have not come across such transcriptions.

Peter1953

I like to buy both Organ Concertos. Which CD do you recommend?

Jamie

I would strongly recommend the following recording: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=10069&name_role1=1&comp_id=910&bcorder=15&name_id=22925&name_role=2. Ignore what the Fanfare reviewer says. It's the best available recording of both Organ Concertos and includes the beautiful Suite for Violin and Organ as a bonus. I first became acquainted with these glorious concertos in 1976 when I purchased the E. Power Biggs recording. It's difficult to choose favorite moments in these works, but if pinned down, I would pick the gorgeous D flat major slow movement of #1, the haunting second theme of the first movement of #2, and the fiery finale of #2.

eschiss1

I have what may be the same suite (op.166 in C minor?) for violin and organ in a violin and piano arrangement along with Rheinberger's violin sonatas played by Jurgen Besig and Christian Brembeck on Christophorus (1990).  Really good disc all three works I think (the 2nd violin sonata was also transcribed from E minor to E-flat minor for clarinet and piano but this version I have not heard.)
Eric

Peter1953

Peter1953

I've bought the Complete Edition of the Chamber Music. This 6 CD set features very beautiful works. See here

At least 8 Volumes of his Piano Music played by Jürg Hanselmann have been released by Prezioso. Does anybody has one or more of these CD's and if so, what is your opinion?

For those who read German there is an interesting website about Rheinberger. See www.rheinberger.li It features amongst others a list of his opus numbers. Click on (1) 'Komponist und Pädagoge', (2) 'Werk' and (3) 'nach Opuszahlen'.

eschiss1

Thanks for pointing that out. I think I've seen it before, and when I noticed how little information the worklist IMSLP links to gives out (it's Carus trying to advertise their edition and nothing more or less, that other site is), wanted to find this one but had no luck. Glad to be able to link to it!

cjvinthechair

Good for you Sir; a hugely underestimated composer. I 'found' his organ concertos 35 years ago, lost my recordings, and honestly, of late, was beginning to wonder if I'd just imagined he wrote 2 of them. Couldn't find them, or anything else of his, for love or money.
As a huge fan of requiems, I'll go with that as his next greatest work, but am open to suggestion !