News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Goosebump Music

Started by Amphissa, Wednesday 27 October 2010, 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

The 'big tune' closing the 1st movement of Ralph Vaughan Williams' Symphony no. 6.
Enough said..

But I could compile a long list of such goosebump moments in music by unsung composers. I will mention three that I have listened a lot to lately:

Edvin Kallstenius' "Dalarapsodi" - The slow middle section is very beautiful, just a simple folk melody that speaks for itself.

Richard Arnell's Piano Concerto 3rd movement (Finale) - 4:50 into the movement the music calms down and the solo piano presents us with a minute or so with serenity before things start moving again towards the end. Lovely music, I can't leave the rewind-button alone hearing that little section.

Jesus Guridi - The slow middle section of the 2nd movement from his "Sinfonia pirenaica" (starts about 05:50 into the movement on my Naxos disc). A lovely tune creating perfect "night-music".

Morten

izdawiz

Very Sung, yet never fails to give me goosbumps has to be Carl Orff's  classsic  Carmina Burana!!

JimL

OK, another one is in the 1st movement of the Raff PC, where the 3rd theme is reprised by the brass in augmentation under swirling arpeggios in the piano, followed by the piano playing the theme (with its original note values) while the woodwinds play the first subject in counterpoint.

Jonathan

A goosebump piece for me would be Franck's Le Chasseur Maudit - just where the hunting horns get started when the huntsman sets off on his eternal ride.  Spooky stuff!

JimL

When the cellos enter in the 3rd movement of Bruch's Scottish Fantasy.

cjvinthechair

Hi, I'm new. Guess 'goosebumps' is why I'm here !
Sure my tastes, like everyone's, change occasionally, but current favourite moments are:
'Amen' from Janacek Otcenas
Final chorus from Berlioz 'Damnation..', preferably with Toltzer soloist Ludwig Mittelhammer
Hovhaness Mysterious Mountain - well, most of it , really
Florent Schmitt Psalm ??? can't remember number - big choral setting; magnificent !
Revueltas Noche de los Mayas
'Hostias' from Verdi Requiem

Enough.... !