News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Simon Waley Waley (1827-1875)

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 26 June 2012, 11:42

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Simon Waley Waley  Born 23.8.1827  Stockwell, London -   Died 30.12.1875 London

The son of Solomon and Rachel Waley. He was a pupil of Moscheles, Bennett and Osborne for piano and Horsley and Molique for theory and composition. His compositions were reported as exhibiting great finish  and a richness of detail and harmony.
He was a prominent member of The London Stock Exchange. He and his wife Anna had six children*.
He was buried in the Jewish Cemetery, Balls Pond Road, Dalston, London.   The cemetery was sold for development some years ago.

Orchestral

Piano Concerto in E flat  Op.16  1856   pub. by Schott & Co.
There is mention of a symphony, its current whereabouts is unknown

Chamber

Piano trio No.1 in B flat  Op.15   1856
Piano trio No.2 in G minor  Op.20  1861
Duet for violin and piano No.1
Duet for violin and piano No.2
Romance for oboe or violin and piano  1861
Romance for violin and piano   1878

Piano

'L'arpeggio' a study for piano  1848 (first published work) pub. by Cramer, Beale & Co. /Stanley Lucas, Weber.
'Un Reverie' caprice for piano  1850
Marche pour le piano 1850
Romance and Etude brillante Op.14/1   pub. by Schott & Co.
Though Streamlet  1860  - also a song  pub. by Jullien & Co.
Lament  1860   pub. by Lamborn, Cock & Co.
'Day Dream' impromptu for piano Op.19  1861   pub. by Stanley Lucas, Weber & Co.
Notturno for piano 1873   pub. by Stanley Lucas, Weber & Co.
'Marche des Guides  1871   pub. by Stanley Lucas,Weber & Co.
Study for piano  1874

Song

Angel's Voices  1873
The Banner - duet  words by Longfellow  1856
Curfew  words by Longfellow   pub. by Stanley Lucas, Weber & Co.
The Dream of Home  words by T Moore
The Home of early love  pub. by Addison, Hollier & Lucas
In der Ferne four German songs - Sing on, Sing on ye little birds No.2  words by Redwitz,  I'll rest No4 words by Uhland 1864
I would not be forgot pub. by Stanley Lucas, Weber & Co 1865
The Lord is my Shepherd
A Lost Chord  words by A A Proctor
Marguerita - 3 part song  words by Dilia Helena
Sing on, sing on, ye little birds  pub by Stanley Lucas, Weber 1857
Sleep on, my sweetest joy - cradle song  words by A H Hoffmann
Song of the Wood Nymphs - 2 part song  words by B Cornwall
This World is all a fleeting show - part song  words by T Moore
Though spring tide art so true and good  from Redwitz's 'Amaranth'
Though streamlet last a tuneful voice  from Redwitz's 'Amaranth'
Whither so fast away

Waley wrote numerous Musical Services for the West London Synagogue

Hebrew Hymns

Adon Olam
Ein Keilo-Leinu

One branch of his family have some of his original scores.

Frederick G Waley. 1861
Alfred J Waley.  1862
Ada K Waley. 1863
Cecilia E Waley. 1864
Philip S Waley. 1867
John D Waley. 1871

eschiss1

One edition of the Impromptu "Day Dream" seems to have been given Op.19 by the way. I'm guessing the No.1 in Romance et étude brillante refers to the Romance, no.2 to the etude, (see especially OCLC), but it's possible that it refers to both works and that no.2 is another collection of works as happens.

The rêverie-caprice and arpeggio-etude were published by Mechetti of Vienna under the collected title "Deux Bluettes" in 1851. There is also at least these:
Op.15 was published by Schott ca.1856/57 also according to HMB, the op.16 concerto about the same time (the concerto does seem to have been premiered in or about 1856 though). The opus 20 trio was published (all by Schott) in 1862 (performed in MS around March 1861 according to an article in the March 23 1861 Musical World, by the Musical Society of London.) (There may be earlier publications by British publishers as happens- HMB does not always catch these.)

*possibly?? Caprice alla mazurka, Op.6 for piano 4-hands (Schott, pub. 1853) by "J.W. Waley" - may not be the same person (putting in because I suspect a Hofmeister typo...)

*Symphony (lost?, mentioned in a May 1856 article about his second performance of his piano concerto.)

giles.enders

The full score for the piano concerto is in The British Library and the piano trios are held at The RAM

eschiss1

Gareth Vaughan

Copies of the Trios also appear to be held at the RCM. It is worth noting that the BL lists a set of orchestral parts for the PC. Incidentally, I know of this concerto but I have not seen the score. Does anyone know what it's like?

Martin Eastick

I have a solo part and complete set of orchestral parts for the Waley concerto, which I played many years ago now (WITHOUT orchestra - I may add!). Overall it is a pleasant work of its period, owing more than a little to Sterndale Bennett. It would be a more than adequate companion piece to the John Francis Barnett Op25, but this will require the likes of Howard Shelley to reconstruct the orchestral part UNLESS this miraculously resurfaces from somewhere!

Simon

For those curious, the RAM has made available some of Waley's most notable works, including some piano pieces, the Romance for oboe and piano, the two Piano Trios and the Piano Concerto (solo part only).

https://archive.org/details/0134496/mode/2up

Martin Eastick

I am most grateful for this - at a cursory glance, the two trios look well worthy of further attention!