News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

J V Tomasek

Started by thalbergmad, Tuesday 02 November 2010, 23:34

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

Perhaps this man has only a toe dipped in romanticism, but I have just spent an entire week adding his Allegro Capriccioso to my feeble repetoire, and unusually, I have rather enjoyed the attempt.

I would thoroughly recommend the recording of some of Tomasek's solo works by Phyliss Moss to those who like uncomplicated but instantly captivating melodies. If you like Czerny, you will like this & for the keen amateur third rate hack pianist, it is not overly taxing.

Apart from the two concertos, I don't recall seeing any other CD's, but I hope that someone will eventually be interested enough to record some of the sonatas.

Anyone else heard any Tomasek??

Thal

febnyc

I have heard, continue to hear and enjoy Tomasek.

His Symphony in D Major is very good.  I also have a disc of two Piano Concertos - on Supraphon.  Not Mozart, but well done.

eschiss1

Some other CDs listed (and clearly CDs and not mislisted books) on WorldCat include Eclogues opp35 and 51 on Arta (1999, Jaroslav Tuma, pf); Requiem in C minor (Supraphon recording, 1997); Missa Solemnis op.81 on 2 CDs somewhere I think.
Eric

khorovod

I have the CD of the Tomasek requiem and it is a very interesting work but unfortunately I hardly ever play it as the recording is so poor, it sounds so echo-ey,very hard going to listen to.

:(

khorovod

oh and I have a recording (Supraphon IIRC) of a mass too (and a mass by Vranicky, Anton (?)) which I am not so fond of musically, similar in style to Haydn's brilliant last masses but a bit showy and I wasnn't so keen in the end. I wish it had shared the cd with the requiem, I would love to hear that in good sound.