Charles Gerhardt conducts film music

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 09 March 2020, 11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

It's just an anthology of the original albums, no new mastering and (as per normal with that series) not even liner notes, just a track list on the back of each cardboard sleeve.

So pretty missable for me who has most of it already.

Alan Howe

Fair enough.

I have several of them, but at just over £2 a CD for the lot, this is a great bargain for the uninitiated.

adriano

@ TerraEpon
Some (or all?) of them are on the way of being re-issued (and splendidly remastered) by Dutton-Vocalion. And they include liner notes!
The Herrmann item is super!And it also includes a bonus track which was included to another LP.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Gerhardt-Kiri-Kanawa-Multi-channel/dp/B07HB1NL1V/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=citizen+kane&qid=1583777239&s=music&sr=1-1

Alan Howe

Dutton appear to have reissued five so far:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=charles+gerhardt+dutton&i=popular&ref=nb_sb_noss

...so it depends whether you settle for 'cheap and cheerful' or pay 'an arm and a leg'....

brendangcarroll

My dear, late and much missed friend Charles Gerhardt remastered all of the original Classic Film Scores LPs for digital CD reissue in the 1980s. RCA only ever released the first album (The Sea Hawk) in his edition and the remainder languish in the vaults somewhere. The subsequent CD reissues of the rest were just straight transfers from the original LPs (which is presumably what this latest set is).

The sad part of this story is that Chuck's superbly remastered versions included many tracks that were not originally released on the LP versions due to lack of space. He restored these extra cues. Willl we ever hear them? I fear it is unlikely because it would involve money and someone in charge that actually knew what they were doing.

The only good thing about this latest box set is that it keeps these sensational performances in the catalogue and probably introduces this wonderful music to a whole new generation.

Alan Howe

QuoteThe only good thing about this latest box set is that it keeps these sensational performances in the catalogue and probably introduces this wonderful music to a whole new generation.

Quite so.

MartinH

That's an unexpected bargain box! I have all the original CD releases with the booklets and all that, so I'll keep them. I even have the original LPs if you can believe it. If anyone would be the subject of a great biography, it's gotta be Gerhardt. Fascinating, amazing life and accomplishments.