Kalinnikov 1 from Svetlanov

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 10 March 2020, 12:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

vesteel

The back cover says the 1999 one was the Borodin, and the Kalinnikov was from 1993 (which I assume the same live performance uploaded on youtube?)

Alan Howe

Thanks for the correction - duly noted.

This could well be the same performance as the one uploaded to YouTube. Many (most?) of these high-end Japanese recordings seem to be of live performances. If it is, it's a wonderful memorial of a master-conductor and expert in this repertoire.

I urge anyone interested to listen to this utterly transcendent performance! And notice that Svetlanov's first thought at the end is to applaud the orchestra...

FBerwald

Thank you Alan, I was moved to tears by this performance. A huge credit goes to Svetlanov's interpretation - Grand!

Alan Howe

I had a similar reaction. Glorious, isn't it?

Mark Thomas

Wow, what a joyous way to end the day! The finale had me transfixed. Without doubt it's the best performance I've heard of this evergreen work, Svetlanov gives it so much more depth than Järvi, say, and yet the finale is just so exciting. Svetlanov also deserves praise for so generously showing his appreciation of such a fine orchestra, and for brandishing the score to demonstrate where the ultimate credit lay. Thanks to Alan for the heads up and vesteel for the YouTube link.

Joachim Raff

Yes, watching the performance on youtube. Its one of my favourite symphonies anyway and this is miles better than Jarvi. :)

Alan Howe

Is there a point to be made here about Järvi as a great 'turn-up-and-record' conductor with an enormous repertoire as opposed to other great conductors whose repertoire is more restricted, but who have a deeper understanding of what they perform? Or is that being too harsh on Järvi?

Mark Thomas

A little bit harsh, I think, but this isn't by any means the first time when a Järvi performance, previously my well-established go-to, has been supplanted by one which reveals much more depth to the music than I'd previously suspected.

FBerwald

Is the Svetlanov recording of the Kalinikov Symphonies (with USSR State Academic Symphony Orchestra) on Melodiya as good as the performance above?

Alan Howe

Good question. I have it, but don't have the time to make a proper comparison.

If this is the Melodiya recording...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecu4lyqO4iE
...you can judge for yourself.

Immediately obvious is the harsh recording quality when compared with the one made in Japan!

Joachim Raff

Yes, the Melodiya recordings are a little rough around the edges, which is a shame.

MartinH

Thanks for the link. Extremely enjoyable - Svetlanov had his hits and misses, but there are some things he was top-notch in and here's one. It still frustrates me to no end that this beautiful symphony is so out of the standard repertoire. And yes, Jarvi can be glib and not profound, but I really enjoy his Kalinnikov recordings, too. And Dudarova.

Joachim Raff

Veronika Dudarova, she was some conductor. I found she used a quicker pace for the Kalininkov but still is a great version.

eschiss1

Wasn't aware she died back in 2009 actually- I agree she was a very good conductor.