Potter Symphony No.1 etc.

Started by britishcomposer, Friday 03 April 2020, 09:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

That's a very welcome surprise!

eschiss1

The filename of the Potter makes it look like symphonies 1 & 2, which (unfortunately?) it isn't :) - but will withhold judgment!

Mark Thomas

If the first movement of the G minor Symphony recorded here really is Allegro con spirito, as mentioned in the description, then it must be Potter's "No.1" of 1819 (revised 1826), as the first movement of the G minor Symphony of 1832 available on Unicorn-Kanchana (as No.10, but now "No.6") is marked Allegro con fuoco. We'll have to await a more detailed listing of the tracks, but for the record "No.1" has:

I. Allegro con spirito
II. Andantino quasi allegretto
III. Tempo di Menuetto
IV. Allegro non tanto

eschiss1

Was just remarking that it seems to be Potter no.1 and some overtures, not syms. 1 & 2 as "cipriani-potter-symphonien-nr-1-2/hnum/8992773" seemed to promise - but :) no worries.

Mark Thomas

semloh

Might this be the performance broadcast by the BBC R3 on 9th May last year by the same orchestra and conductor, which can be heard at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OdPVNz_Tt8 ?

Mark Thomas

It could well be - and a great find, Colin. Definitely the earlier of the two G minor symphonies too.

Richard Moss

Is this the same performance that was uploaded to UC in April last year (I think)?

Richard

Gareth Vaughan

Dare one hope that this will be the first in a Potter cycle conducted by Howard Shelley for CPO?

Alan Howe

Considering that the recording was done with the BBCNOW I am amazed that cpo are the label involved. I imagine that Howard Griffiths must be contracted to them.

eschiss1

It's not the first disc BBC NOW has recorded for cpo. Others I find are outside this forum's remit (Korngold's cello concerto- cpo's 2nd recording of that work- included.)
(As to Griffiths, I believe this is the case.)

Alan Howe

A UK label should be doing the Potter symphonies. But if cpo do the lot, we can be very grateful.

eschiss1

I'm a fan of several composers whose music has been sometimes better-served by cpo or BIS (or Naxos, yes), say, than by labels in their own countries. In the case when their own country was the US, for example, that would have meant waiting 300-plus years - if I were lucky... so it seems an odd ground for complaint, looking from here.
Anyway.

Alan Howe

Well, we should be prouder than we are of our early symphonists. After all, we don't have all that many (of note, anyway).