News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Vincent d'Indy

Started by dhibbard, Sunday 05 April 2020, 05:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The 2010 recording of "L'étranger" will be broadcast on German Radio SWR 2 this Sunday 10 May at 8.03 pm CEST.

adriano

"L'Etranger": In he textbook of the Accord CD, on pages 38-39 they erroneously reproduced on the right side the original French again, so that page 39 has no English translation. The recording is very good and I like the singers.

semloh

Eric said. of the Sextet:
I may be thinking of someone else's but fairly sure it's d'Indy's finale whose variations finale is for want of a better phrase quite magical, neoclassical in its use of a fugue and concluding quodlibet but not classically especially "restrained", or does it strike others otherwise?

The third movement sounds restrained to my ears, Eric, but perhaps more accurately 'relaxed', though not without some sparkle. Indeed, my impression of the Sextet as a whole is that it is the work of someone who is at peace with the world and happy with his life (whether or not that was actually the case, I don't know, but the ending surely suggests it).
I love it! :)

eschiss1

I guess you're right - I think I know what I meant (a different sense of the word) but should not ask people to be telepathic as it were :) (I get irritated when I find others doing so, after all!...)

Anyhow. There are many different ends toward which "neo-classicism" in the broader(est) sense (not to be confused with Stravinsky's fairly specific kind) can arguably be applied, whether (I imagine partially for period effect? please correct me, I don't yet know the whole opera!) it's the appearance of the "Jolly Miller" in a Henry VIII opera by another well-known French composer almost a century before Havergal Brian wrote variations on the theme (sorry :D), or - well, helping to achieve the (various, not the same, I know) overall effects of works like d'Indy's early suite or late chamber works and concert, etc. (and 3rd symphony too?...)

dhibbard

I did not notice that Vol 6 of the Chandos series was a super audio CD until I put it in the player... and wow...Wallenstein is a wonder.   Of the total 6 CDs in the set, only Vol 6 is the super audio.

Alan Howe

...doesn't matter to me. I can't play the SACD layer on any of my devices; in any case I'm probably too old to hear the difference.

Kevin

Quotein any case I'm probably too old to hear the difference.

I can't even hear the difference between 320 MP3 and lossless FLAC *shrugs*