News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Marius Ulfrstad (1890-1968)

Started by M. Henriksen, Friday 07 October 2011, 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

I wanted to present the Norwegian composer Marius Ulfrstad to you all. Basically I've translated what is written about him in Norwegian encyclopedias.

Marius Leonhard Moaritz Ulfrstad, born 11. September 1890 in Ålesund, Møre og Romsdal, d. 29. October 1968 in Oslo. Composer, organist and music teacher.
Ulfrstad was born on an island outside Ålesund, and this area's nature was of great importance to him from early years. After middle school and teacher education, he entered the Conservatory of Music in Oslo and graduated as an organist there in 1911.
In 1912 he settled in Ålesund and worked as a song teacher and organist. Then he went on to study composition in Germany, France and Italy. In 1914 he became organist in Kragerø, and in 1917, he moved to Christiania (Oslo). Here he worked as a music critic, conductor and music teacher. During the Opéra Comique's brief existence (1918-21), he was accompanist and assistant director there.

In 1919 Ulfrstad made his debut as a composer with a program of some his songs performed by Elisabeth Munthe-Kaas and Erling Krogh. He started at the Music Academy in Oslo in 1922, he was a board member of the Composers' Association and also a time chairman of the Young Composer's Union.

A large part of Ulfrstad's production, including all the larger works, are only kept in manuscript. They include four symphonies. He has also composed a piano concerto and two violin concertos. Of major choral works with orchestra we find "Arnljot Gelline", "Lex Imperat" and "Ære det evige forår" (Honour the everlasting Spring).
The main body of Ulfrstad's production are his ca. 600 romances and songs. Many of these are printed, and among these are his most famous work, "Tyteberet", with lyrics by Aa. O. Vinje. Several other of his songs were very popular. A great number of piano pieces and some choir music are also published. Among the piano works we find "Arctic suite", "Karl Johans red tower" (piano and orchestra) and "Møre og Romsdal suite".

Some of Ulfrstads manuscripts were destroyed by a fire in January 1943, when the composer himself also was injured. Others were lost in connection with a shipment to the music publisher Ricordi in Milan. It is unclear how many of the unpublished works that are lost, but the scores for the Piano Concerto and the 4th Symphony are complete. Partly preserved are Ulfrstad's 2 violin concertos and the 3rd symphony.
Ulfrstad was to a large extent influenced by what has been called the "Norwegian Impressionism," a style that was prominent among Norwegian composers in the 1920s. The composer himself also even pointed his inspiration from French Impressionism, but also his admiration for Norwegian folk music and Norwegian nature left it's mark on his music.

Ulfrstad's compositions were received with enthusiasm and acclaim in his time, but now, with the exception of some songs, he's not performed at all..

A selection of compositions:

Violin Concerto no. 1, 1923
Symphony no. 2 "Empor"
Symphony no. 3 "Norwegia", 1943
Symphony no. 4 "Skjebnetid" (The time of destiny)
Arnljot Gelline (lyrics B. Bjørnson) for choir, soloists and orchestra, 1932
Piano Concerto, 1935
Lex Imperat, for choir and orchestra, 1935
Ære det evige forår (lyrics B. Bjørnson) for choir, soloists and orchestra, 1932
Karl Johans røde taarn (The red tower of Karl Johan) for piano and orchestra
Møre og Romsdal Suite, 1946
Tyteberet , song
Munken Vendt, incidental music, 1939

I'm sorry to say that I could find very little information about Ulfrstad and his works, but I hope reading this was worth your time. Some sources mentions a 5th Symphony, but again it's difficult to know for sure. I haven't heard any of his music except some songs so I don't know what to expect. My guess is that Ulfrstad's music is less impressionistic than his contemporary Alf Hurum. Maybe some of you have additional info to share!?

Morten

Gareth Vaughan

Where are the MSS, Morten? If in the Norwegian National Library how many are listed as preserved?

M. Henriksen

I'm sorry to say that I don't know Gareth. A bit of research to do!

Morten

britishcomposer

Morten, are the songs commercially available? Maybe I am the only one here who is interested most of all in SONGS!!! :D
Just an example: I know three songs by Geirr Tveitt from a broadcast of a song recital. If I knew nothing else by him than these three songs I would rate him a great master anyway!

M. Henriksen

The score of the Piano Concerto can be purchased at the Music Information Centre in Oslo.
(pf solo, orch: 2-2-2-2(1) 4-3-3-1 timp perc str)

This is the composer photographed together with his sister in 1908.
According to a Swedish source, Ulfrstad studied under Respighi, Pizzetti and Maurice Ravel.

Morten

M. Henriksen

I found a excerpt from Ulfrstad's piano piece Sunnmørshavet (Sunnmøre Ocean) played by Kjell Bækkelund. The excerpt is number 13 in the link below.

http://www.rockipedia.no/Vault.aspx?entity=1112757

Morten

britishcomposer

Now, that's quite nice, isn't it?  ::)
A sphereful, slightly impressionistic beginning wich makes the sudden eruption the more effective.

M. Henriksen

Another piece, Idyll Op. 4 (track 10) with Bækkelund at the piano again.

http://www.rockipedia.no/Vault.aspx?entity=1148679 I enjoyed that piece! Here Ulfrstad is clearly in a more national mood than the impressionistic Sunnmørshavet.

I'll see if I can find some information about published songs tomorrow.

Morten

M. Henriksen

Quote from: britishcomposer on Friday 07 October 2011, 20:58
Morten, are the songs commercially available?

I've learnt that Norsk Musikforlag published a selection of 11 of Ulfrstad's songs and romances in the 1970s. I can't find any information on their website, but I know that they have still a lot of work to do to update the catalogues. It could be an idea to contact them at order@musikforlaget.no.

Morten

britishcomposer

Thank you, Morten!  :)
I'd prefer a recording but I will try anyway.

M. Henriksen

True, but I'm afraid that the couple of Piano pieces I've posted links to are all I could find of recorded works. Not much.. :(

Morten

Gareth Vaughan

The Music Information Center in Norway either no longer exists or no longer seems to deal in classical music scores and/or parts. However, the National Library of Norway have sent me at no cost, bless them) a PDF of the MS score of Ulfrstad's Piano Concerto. By their own admission, it is in a very poor state, but it is readable - just - and looks interesting. If anyone is interested in seeing it with a view to perhaps setting it in Sibelius or another similar programme, please contact me and I will send them a copy. I am also happy to share it purely for study purposes, but, given the poor quality of the hardcopy in the National Library from which the PDF was made, it would be good if someone felt moved to produce something better and more durable - though be sure I do not underestimate the task. If I had Sibelius and were proficient in its use I would do it myself. However...
Anyway, we can now view it via this forum.

tpaloj

Hey Gareth – sent you a message. I'd be happy to look through the score and see whether making Noteperformer extracts might be possible. Thank you a lot for your efforts with this!