News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sibelius 8CD set on RCA

Started by dhibbard, Saturday 25 April 2020, 22:50

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

Just picked up this 8CD RCA set of Saraste conducting Sibelius... and my, I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality and sound of this new set.   All recordings were made at the Helsinki Cultural House in 1987 and 1988 but have been remastered and sound wonderful.   RCA released this set at a budget price.  A great deal !!

Christopher

Alan Howe

Partly. I've allowed it for that reason.

Gareth Vaughan

Yes - I wondered. But the set does contain some relatively unsung pieces by Sibelius. so I'm sure Alan has made the right decision. It certainly looks like a bargain.

Alan Howe

I can't find much about the original releases or how good they were. I certainly won't be diving in without finding out first.

TerraEpon

I vaguely remember it being well regarded when it came out as that's when I was really getting into Sibelius. That said, of the more unsung stuff the recent Naxos series of the incidental music conducted by Sergestram is probably better (and also available as a bosset IIRC) and for the non-concerto violin and orchestra stuff there's a great disc on BIS (of course, part of the later complete edition).