Reicha, Romberg: Concertos for Two Cellos

Started by Joachim Raff, Thursday 30 April 2020, 18:47

Previous topic - Next topic

hyperdanny

thank you TerraEpon...not too surprised about the answer: the EU "real cd" vs US CD-R problem was already a scourge in other "niche" fields (i.e. soundtracks: the US releases by majors, not specialized labels, are now often CD-R's) ..now I see it's affecting the classical field too.
Just one more question (more of a curiosity, bear with me): what you got is a low-quality-like-burned-at-home CD-R (the blueish more opaque than normal ones, unfortunately inflicted on us by Wyastone for Sterling here) or a "better" one (the ones which are still blueish but much more shiny, denoting higher quality and a more professional pressing) ?

TerraEpon

I wanna say the "better" one since I can't see through the other side like I can most of them.

hyperdanny

yes , the see-through ones are especially low quality, that's a little better, but still not the real thing..and I even checked on the US amazon..they do not say anywhere that's a CD-R , i remember they used to. annoying to say the least.

hyperdanny

I received the cd yesterday: just like Alan , I received a "real" cd from jpc.
The Reicha is a tremendous and very substantial piece (literally so: it's quite a behemoth for its time), played powerfully by a "normal" size orchestra, no 1-to-a-part nonsense here. (Goebel assures that the performance is stilistically appropriate).
The recording is also top notch, crystal clear but warm, with ideal dynamics.
While listening, I read with pleasure the booklet written by Goebel himself; while he doesn't linger too much on the analysis of the pieces (but what he says is very perceptive) , he does a wonderful job at describing the wider context with the composers' relationships.
That's an aspect that fascinates me to no end: all of these guys breathed very much the same air, they all knew each other, they shared teachers, competed for jobs, sometimes were friends, more often they detested each other, and Goebel revels in the description of all that.