Reicha, Romberg: Concertos for Two Cellos

Started by Joachim Raff, Thursday 30 April 2020, 18:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I did indeed read your post - I quoted it and explained why I was of the contrary view, i.e. that the Eybler is what it is (i.e. light music, not a joke - so it didn't go over my head), the Romberg a superbly crafted virtuoso work and the Reicha a major discovery.

Anyway, it'd be good to have some other opinions on the music here, so let's move on...

TerraEpon

Yes yes, light music bad, serious music good.

Alan Howe

QuoteYes yes, light music bad, serious music good.
No, no, with respect, you misunderstand: light music good, serious music good. But it's pointless to put the two alongside each other for comparison purposes, as in:

QuoteThe Reicha and Romberg are good well constructed pieces but nothing especially sticks out with them. Joseph Eybler is a different story.

The reason that the Eybler is 'a different story' from the Reicha and the Romberg isn't that 'nothing especially sticks out with them' (in fact, there's plenty), but that the Eybler is a different type of piece ('U-Musik'), as Goebel correctly points out in his sleevenote.

Apples and oranges. But both good...

TerraEpon

Oh sure, they are for sure different types of pieces. Actually it's a very wierd disc, you have these two double concerti for cello and then all of a sudden you get this loud rustic stuff. After having listened to it streamed I immediately put it on my wishlist -- it's all extremely enjoyable -- but yeah, not perhaps the most well thought out of couplings.

Alan Howe

After two double concertos I imagine they just wanted some kind of filler. If so, the Eybler fits the bill.

TerraEpon

So I got the actually disc today....and whelp, it turns out to be a CDR.

While I knew Sony was doing it for some OST releases this is the first fully classical disc I've encountered it on.
And of course like others there's no mention of this anywhere.

I guess it's time to be weary of Sony releases in the future...

Alan Howe

I didn't spot that. One of my CD players usually objects to CD-Rs, but it played this release perfectly happily.

Kevin

It's time to switch to digital chaps. You don't have worry about things like that anymore. Like it not that's the way the world's going(I haven't bought a CD in 8 years. I don't miss them, they always got scratched or my player wouldn't play them for whatever reason) :)

Alan Howe

Digital can also go wrong, of course. And I don't have the time to do all the backing-up required, so I'll be sticking with physical CDs for as long as they continue to be made.

Anyway, more importantly: has anyone else spotted that this release is a CD-R?

TerraEpon

Well in this case it's extremely obvious -- the back is blue.  On top of that, the cover of the CD looks 'pasted' on.

Mostly importantly, though, is ImgBurn actually says it's a CDR -- https://www.imgburn.com/ (ir's freeware) if you want to check yourself and have a CD recordable drive. Every release that's looked like a CDR to me it's said said is one, and it'll even say what kind.

Alan Howe

hyperdanny

Oh no the crummy dreadful blue CD-R..can I ask you TerraEpon from who did you buy it from?...mine has been posted a couple days ago from jpc, and now I don't know if I must cherish or dread its arrival...

Alan Howe

hyperdanny

That's comforting news, thanks Alan..I'll update when i receive it..

TerraEpon

Quote from: hyperdanny on Wednesday 10 June 2020, 15:17
Oh no the crummy dreadful blue CD-R..can I ask you TerraEpon from who did you buy it from?...mine has been posted a couple days ago from jpc, and now I don't know if I must cherish or dread its arrival...

Amazon. It's likely a case of US pressing vs European pressing, which it often is. Good to know that the European one is fine. Knowing Amazon I'll likely get a full refund without being down a penny so i can just order it from elsewhere later...