Schmidt-Kowalski from Querstand

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 16 November 2010, 16:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Querstand have announced a new CD to be released in December of Schmidt-Kowalski's PC and Viola Concerto, together with a Symphonic Fantasy. Details here:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Thomas-Schmidt-Kowalski-Klavierkonzert-g-moll-op-108/hnum/4982609

Gareth Vaughan

Peter1953

Definitely a must-buy. But I've never heard of the Erzgebirgische Philharmonie Aue, nor of the conductor and soloists. The orchestra exists already more than 100 years! And the Querstand label? Doesn't sound familiar to me either. But never mind, Schmidt-Kowalski is a wonderful composer!

eschiss1

Querstand is not a large label but they've already produced recordings, some I think reviewed in Musicweb (ah, yes- at least once; Bach and his Pupils violin sonatas-- I think a few other of their recordings also) and other places? , of choral works by Robert Schumann, Franz Schmidt's oratorio (Book with Seven Seals),
Krebs' complete works (possibly still in progress?) for organ (starting in 1998), others also.

Mark Thomas

This is excellent news. My order is already in.

Hovite

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 17 November 2010, 21:32
Querstand is not a large label but they've already produced recordings

One that I have is the Dresdner Streich Trio performing works by Herzogenberg and Reger. From following a web address printed on the back, I find that the label was founded in 1994, and has issued 200 CDs, mostly of organ music. It is owned by a publishing house which itself appears to have been established in 1993 and seemingly specializes in musicology.

http://www.vkjk.de/lang-en/index.html

Alan Howe

This is a wonderful CD. Those who have bought previous CDs of his music should enjoy this one very much. I am currently listening to the predominantly stormy first movement of his PC in G minor - marvellous, echt-Romantic stuff. More anon...

Alan Howe

Well, the PC knocks, say, Marx's Romantisches Klavierkonzert into a cocked hat as far as I'm concerned. This was what I wanted the Marx concerto to be like before I heard it.

Mind you, you'll have to have a very sweet tooth (nothing wrong with that, though)!

Alan Howe

...whereas the Viola Concerto has a much more elegiac character - incredibly beautiful, thoroughly euphonious music.

Mark Thomas

... I can't wait for the postman to come a-calling.

DennisS

I have just had a first listen to the new Schmidt-Kowalski disc  which arrived today and very much enjoyed the music. I liked all 3 works but was a little tired,as it was at the end of a rather long school day. I therefore was not as receptive as I might have been. My feeling is though that the music is very good indeed. Will say more after I listen again.

Cheers
Dennis

Mark Thomas

Dennis, if you are tired you shouldn't be posting to UC at half past midnight. Go to bed! Sleep!

Alan Howe

My only reservation with regard to S-K is that he can come across as rather relentlessly 'full-on'. Other than that...

Gareth Vaughan

Are people ordering this Querstand disk from JPC? It doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK.

Alan Howe

Yep - that's where my copy came from.