Kastalsky - Requiem for Fallen Brothers

Started by Christopher, Wednesday 29 July 2020, 23:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

I just noticed that Kastalsky's Requiem for Fallen Brothers is due to be released by Naxos at the end of August.  Premiered in 1917. 

https://www.naxos.com/ECard/2020/Kastalsky-Requiem/
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8795074--alexander-kastalsky-requiem

Joseph Charles Beutel (bass-baritone), Anna Dennis (soprano)
Cathedral Choral Society, The Clarion Choir, Chamber Choir of St. Tikhon's Monastery, Kansas City Chorale, Orchestra Of St. Luke's
Leonard Slatkin

Alexander Kastalsky was a student of Tchaikovsky and a mentor to Rachmaninov, becoming director of the Moscow Synodal School until the Bolshevik regime banned all sacred music, including the extraordinary Requiem for Fallen Brothers which consequently lay forgotten for over a century. The Requiem is a rich and varied mosaic that honours those who perished in the First World War, poignantly combining Orthodox and Gregorian chant with hymns from the allied nations, even including Rock of Ages. This unprecedented and peerless monument to those who made the ultimate sacrifice was acclaimed on its 1917 premiere as a 'uniquely Russian requiem that... gave musical voice to the tears of many nations'

der79sebas

Just listening to the CD - an embarrassing experience. This is a rather shallow piece which would have been wise to remain unsung.

Christopher

Its not due for release until 28 August - you have an advance copy?

der79sebas

I ordered it from jpc and received the package yesterday. So it seems that they have/had andvanced copies... I had this several times before.

Holger

In fact, this piece is also included in the third box of Melodiya's Svetlanov edition, focusing on vocal-symphonic music. However I have to admit I did not give it a listen so far even if I have the set.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Yes, but it is written by Rob Barnett who, although a champion of unsung music generally (and British music in particular), and whose enthusiasm has helped generate interest in many an unjustly neglected composer, is not a musician. His critical faculties are essentially non-musical and it shows in his reviews. These contain little solid musical appreciation or criticism; they are often horribly overwritten and characterised by unhelpful adjectives (what, for example, is meant by a "lanky" movement? - see his review of the Kalafati symphony) and some I have read are, quite frankly, ridiculous, not least because he sometimes uses words he doesn't know the meaning of (for example, I am willing to bet there are no "ululations" in the Indra movement - there is a wordless chorus, but that is not an ululation). I take this with a large pinch of salt, therefore, until I have heard the work myself.

Joachim Raff

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 20 August 2020, 13:50
characterised by unhelpful adjectives (what, for example, is meant by a "lanky" movement? - see his review of the Kalafati symphony)

I have not read the review, but i would speculate that "lanky" means long and thin in content, slightly clumsy. Straggly could be used in a similar way

Alan Howe

Gareth is right, though. It's a matter of guesswork what 'lanky' might mean in that context.

Anyway, back to the Kastalsky...