The Swedish Smorgasbord in Orchestral Music

Started by Justin, Thursday 10 June 2021, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

This upcoming Sterling CD is a compilation of Swedish orchestral music that was previously released on LPs. Includes music by Alfvén, Peterson-Berger, Liljefors and Söderman. To be released on July 2nd:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8918105--the-swedish-smorgasbord-in-orchestral-music

Obviously, the sound quality is going to vary among tracks.

Alan Howe

ewk

Can anyone with more swedish skills than I have enlighten us about why a CD would be called The smörgåsbord "in" orchestral Music? I understand it is kind of a buffet (meaning "butter-bread table"), so it is a buffet full of different music, but is there anything more to it? And even if that's all, I would have rather called it  "a smörgåsbord of orchestral music"?

Alan Howe

I'm sure this is a translation issue. The title should surely read 'A Swedish Smörgåsbord of Orchestral Music'.

ewk

Yeah, probably true. My first association was "wow a CD with orchestral works featuring an obscure swedish instrument", or even a joke CD (given "smörgås" means "butter bread")...

eschiss1

Sterling has another sampler/smorgåsborg CD with tracks (unfortunately only) by Hans Huber and others (as I know from access to just that sampler but no more at this time via NML, though I fortunately have access to more, iirc, over Amazon Music- will have to check.)